Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How is my translation from english to spanish?

My partner is Tom. Tom does not play sports but he plays the violin. He likes pizza and many types of music that sounds good to him. With his best friend Chris, Mark visited colleges in New York for the future. He then flew to France on a long trip and saw his family.

- WE HAD TO INTRODUCE OUR 'PARTNERS' IN MY NEW SPANISH CLASS -

Here is my translation...

Mi pareja es Tom. Tom no juega deportes pero ello toca el violín. Quere pizza y muchos tipos de musica que sona bien a su. Con su amigo mejor Chris, Tom visitó universidades en Nueva York por el futuro. Entonces su voló a Francia en un viaje largo y vió su parientes.

It might be a little rocky but I want to be sure their are no gramatical errors. Please correct my mistakes including punctuation and I will leave a solid 10 'puntos.'

Gracias!!

Favorite Answer

Mi AMIGO es Tom. Tom no HACE deporte, pero ÉL toca el violín. LE GUSTA LA pizza y VARIOS tipos de MÚSICA que LE AGRADEN. Con su MEJOR AMIGO Chris, Tom visitó universidades en Nueva York PARA EL futuro. Entonces VIAJÓ Francia en un VUELO largo y VIO A SUS parientes.

Corrections in capital letters.

1. Don't use 'pareja'. It means 'girlfriend' or 'boyfriend'.

2. In Spanish, we don't 'play sports', we 'do sports' or we 'practice sports'. Not 'jugar deportes', but 'practicar deportes' or 'hacer deporte'.

3. 'Él' means 'he'. 'Ello' means 'that', 'that thing'.

4. 'Types of music that sounds good to him', could just be translated as 'types of music that he likes' > 'tipos de música que le agraden.

5. 'Muchos' is very similar to 'too many'. So it's kind of negative, that's why I used 'varios', which means 'many', 'several'.

6. Not 'amigo mejor' > 'mejor amigo'.

7. Not 'por el futuro'. Use 'para el futuro'. If you used 'por', it would mean 'because of'.

8. «He flew to France on a long trip.»

Travelling in any way is translated to 'viajar'. So, 'Él viajó a Francia'. Now, 'on a long trip'... Here, we can specify that he actually flew (by airplane), so instead of using 'viaje' (as a noun), I'm using 'vuelo' (flight, in Spanish 'flight' includes the whole journey). So we'd have: 'Él viajó a Francia en un vuelo largo'.

9. 'And (he) saw his family'. 'Vio' is a mono-syllable word, so it doesn't have a tilde over the 'o'. 'Parientes' which means 'relatives' is in PLURAL, so the possesive, will be also in PLURAL. 'Y vio a sus parientes'. However, if you want to stick with 'family', you can always say 'Y vio a su familia'. Remember, since 'family' (familia) is in SINGULAR, the possesive 'his' (su) will also be in SINGULAR.

Hope this helped.

Source(s): Native Spanish Speaker
  • Am

Your translation is okay, but it has a couple of errors, I completely understand that, trust me. It was really hard for me to learn spanish but I did it................finally :)

Now I´m the official translator for my company ;)

Mi compañero (in this case, compañero sounds much better) es Tom. Tom no juega deportes pero toca el violín. Le gusta la pizza y muchos tipos de música que suenan bien para él. Con su mejor amigo Chris, Mark visitó colegios en New York (or Nueva York) para el futuro. Luego voló a Francia en un largo viaje y vió a su familia (or parientes, you choose).

Good luck

Source(s): I´m a british girl living in latin america.
  • aimone

I are living right here in Puerto Rico and there are plenty of matters translated from Spanish to English for the travelers. Some areas are from Spanish to Chinese, even in Hebrew. Learning a language is handy, however for a few the pronunciation is difficult however many will deliver an attempt to be trained some thing. Many international locations translate from their possess language to English. Some merchandise come from different international locations to the U.S. or even right here and the instructional materials are in no less than three languages.