Teej asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Andrew McCutchen: NL Rookie of the Year?

It's going to be tough to decide who will be the best rookie (J.A. Happ has to get high consideration as well), but I'm throwing my vote in the hat for Andrew McCutchen. He is one of the lone bright spots on yet another abysmal season for the Pirates. What he did last night against the Phillies is something great players do when faced with adversity (notice I said "great" and not "good"). A two-run walk-off HR after a fielding gaffe earlier in the inning shows he knows how to redeem himself and take matters into his own hands.

Another thing to note is his 15 stolen bases, and only being caught twice. That is a testament to just how quick this guy is.

Anyway, feel free to discuss!

Favorite Answer

Yeah it is a competitive year for ROY. J.A Happ is pitching pretty amazing and can be expected to pitch 7 strong every start. However, I think the ROY should go to a player who helps his team every single day, not just 1 out of 5. That being said, Garret Jones of the pirates is also putting up a fight for ROY. I think McCutchen will win it though. He is a solid hitter/fielder with a lot of speed. He also hit 3 homeruns in a game this year and added a walkoff yesterday. If not for these reasons, he should win it based on his thugness and uncanny resemblence to Weezy.

no j.a. happ starting pitcher for the phillies with a 10-2 record and a 2.59 era. but i am a fan of mccutchen and glad to see the pirates with a gleamer of hope for the future even being a phils fan

Im a sox fan and my fantasy team is the phillies pitching staff, even though he walked off a two run yesterday especially off lidge( whos having a shaky year) he could take it away from Rasmus, or Happ, or Hanson

i do no longer think of he would be, in spite of the incontrovertible fact that i'm rooting for him to win it, yet Colby Rasmus has had a notably solid first 0.5 with the playing cards and that i see his numbers convalescing. i think of that's a splash too overdue for McCutchen yet you in no way be attentive to.

Probably McCutchen---and he will be on the next plane out of town to a contending team.

J.A. Happ

Yes. He's been on FIRE since he got called up from the minors. He's defiantly wins the NL Rookie of the Year this season.

Yes it should be him. Not that bum J.A. Happ or Colby Rasmus. It should definitely be him.