Kendy asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Canon lenses vs. Sigma or Tamron?

How do Sigma and Tamron compare in quality to Canon L series lenses? Do you sacrifice quality to save a buck? I have heard the glass is not as good on the off brands.

Best Answer

3rd party brands such as Sigma and Tamron make very good products, just not as good as Canon.

When you compare two similar lenses, say a 70-200 f/2.8 the build quality is immediately and unquestionably noticeable. Canon makes tanks for lenses. the 3rd party brands won't take wear and tear as well as Canon glass. The optics are different inside each lens, but i'm not very knowlegeable on that topic.

From prior experience; the only 35mm and DSLR lenses comparable to an L-series lens would be Nikon's professional lenses. The other brands exist specifically to meet a lower price point. L-series lenses command a certain markup just because of that thin red line but, otherwise there are often obvious differences in performance and quality,

As an example, I've shot shot the Sigma 24-70m f/2.8 EX DG Macro next to Canon's EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM...There's no comparison. The Sigma was more prone to flare, didn't offer full-time manual focusing or environmental seals and produced a great deal more distortion without delivering any of the sharpness of the Canon. But the Sigma also cost half of what I paid for the Canon at the time. And to top it all off, the Sigma front focused on my 40D and the factory never could get it right so I eventually exchanged the lens for the Canon. The lesson for me...You get what you pay for.

Canon L lens is the best lens that produce.

i don't have a L lens so i don't know. those lens cost more than a thousand dollar.

however if you ask me to compare the normal Canon lenses with Sigma and Tamron then my answer would be:

Quality doesn't have any difference. all of them can capture the same quality of image. it is not like the Canon can take a more colorful pics than the third party lens.

well then you might ask what's the different then? because the price are huge apart.

the only huge difference between them is the third party lens might be a bit noisier and a bit slower in auto focus compare to the Canon lenses.

so basically that's it.

but in the Canon L lenses, they are amazing. the quality is better. than regular canon lenses. so you can't really compare the L lens with other regular canon or third party lenses because they are in different level.

It really does depend on the specific lens! In many cases the Canon L series will be better, but if you want an example of when it's not just find reviews on Sigma's f/1.4 50mm.

• Jim A

You may be correct about "not as good." However I own a Rebel XS and I've equipped it with a Tamron 18-200 and I'm very happy with it.

Here's some photos I've taken with the Tamron - you be the judge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimsphotostuff

L series lenses is Canon's flagship professional lens range, designed to include outstanding image performance, ultimate operability, and weather resistance so when you compare to Sigma or Tamron,they are not as good as but if you have limit budget they are good choice and you still take good picture quality with them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&loc...

There are companies that rent lenses, you may wish to go that direction before laying out the big bucks. Sorry, I don't know any offhand but google is easy.