How does the Christian faith explain the existance of other saviors before Jesus?

Written in 1280bc the Egyptian Book of the dead describes the God, Horus…Horus was the son of the God Osiris, born to a virgin mother, he was baptized in a river by Enup the baptizer, who was later beheaded, like Jesus Horus was tempted while alone in the desert, he healed the sick, the blind, cast out demons, and walked on water. He raised Asar from the dead, “Asar” translates to Lazerous, he also had 12 disciples. Horus was crucified, and after three days two women announced Horus (the Savior of Humanity) had risen. In fact the term Horizon comes from the phrase “Horus has risen”.

POINTS TO REMEMBER

Horus was born on Dec 25th of the Virgin Ises Mary, a star in the east accompanied his birth, 3 Kings followed the star to adorn the new-born savior. At the age of 12 he was a prodical child teacher, at the age of 30 he was baptized by Enup, and thus began his ministry. Horus had 12 deciples. He traveled healing the sick and walked on water. Horus was known by many names such as “The Truth” “The Light” “God’s anointed son” “The good Shepard” “The lamb of God”. After being betrayed by Typhon, Horus was crucified, buried for three days, and then was resurrected.

This same account is seen throughout history even before Christ.

Attis of Greece- 1200bc Born on Dec 25th of a virgin, crucified, dead for 3 days, resurrected.

Krishna of India 900bc- Born on Dec 25th of the Virgin Devaki, A star in the East announced his birth, he performed miracles with his deciples, he was crucified and then resurrected.

Dionysus of Greece 200bc- Born of a virgin on Dec 25th, was a traveling teacher who performed miracles such as turning water into wine. He was referred to as the King of Kings, God’s Only Begotten Son, The Alpha and Omega. He was crucified and then resurrected.

Mithra of Persia 1200bc- Born of a Virgin on Dec 25th, Had 12 deciplesa and performed miracles, Upon his death was buried for three days then ressurected. He was also referred to as the truth the light.

This same story, with different names and religions, happens through history close to fifty times.

How do Christians explain this?

Favorite Answer

The true Christian Faith has no connection

to December 25 as the birth-date of anyone

of spiritual consequence.

Many of he prophecies pointing to Jesus who

became the Christ predate Egyptian

dates you cited.

I will research the other alleged similarities

and the veracity of your information

From one of Jehovah's Witnesses

Sure and good honest question btw!

First ask yourself this: Where are the Horus followers today?

Where are the Horus (for lack of a better word) Churches and why didn't the religion survive? If he rose from the dead why isn't this celebrated through our Egyptian history in grand fashion? Horus may have been born on dec 25th but Jesus was born in the spring, we know this because of the sheep folks and their location.

To all the other ones you mentioned see above with same questions

You asked: How do Christians explain this

Answer: Even if it happens with some similarities 100,000,000,000,000 to the 100th power they can never be Jesus!

The man who's book (the bible) has been on the best selling list for over 2000 year, and is the most printed book in the history of mankind.

Listen, of course most Christians are aware of these and many more that have come and gone, in the time of Jesus alone there were 66 major messiahs running around...only one rose from the dead with over 500 witnesss.

IMHO!

Blessing my friend!

• Why do Christians have to explain to you what Jesus Christ has already explained?

He said clearly that many false Christs will arise.

There is your answer - direct from Jesus Christ Himself.

Jesus Christ was well aware that stories would arise in an attempt to keep men from the pristine and eternal gospel of God and cause confusion.

I know who the author of confusion is.

Do you?

It makes no difference whatsoever whether these stories proceeded the incarnate God or followed Him.

Dec 25h has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and was chosen by the Catholic Church fully independent of Scripture.

Surely you know this.

Are you prepared to address the Catholic Church for what they have put forth as truth as you have me?

If you feel Jesus Christ's statement can not stand on it's own and requires some back up with further explanation from Christians, I would most certainly be interested in hearing why.

You seem almost fascinated and a bit skeptical that Jesus Christ is right in this matter as in all things.

Thank you for your email regarding this but I would appreciate an explanation from you on the assumption that my beliefs are "so called truths" as you stated and at odds somehow with Biblical Scripture.

What are these points exactly please?

I am a 20 year blood bought and crucified woman owned outright by the sovereign God.

You have assumed a great deal.

I too assumed much from a question appearing to be posted by a mocker of God.

I ask you - why is your question not only worded this way but here at all when the Word of God has addressed it and you profess Jesus as Lord?

I see more and more as I re-read and re-read again your question - the need for explanation is falling on your shoulders.

Will you be emailing all those that have used (and thoroughly enjoyed using) your question as yet another opportunity to mock God - or am I the "safe" one?

• Step away from the Zeitgeist and Acharya S and listen a minute:

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.

Horus' mother was Isis, not "Ises Mary". There was no star in the east. He was not a child teacher, was never baptized, and did not have twelve disciples. Anup is another name for Anubis, who was never a baptizer. He never healed the sick or walked on water. He was never known by any of those names. He was never betrayed by Typhon (Typhon is another name for Set, who betrayed Osiris, not Horus). Crucifixion did not exist in ancient Egypt. He was never buried in a tomb.

Attis may have been born of a virgin, but the only reference to the possibility post-dates Christianity. Attis castrated himself at his wedding. He was not crucified, nor was he resurrected.

Krishna was the son of Princess Devaki and her husband Vasudeva, who were imprisoned together by Devaki's brother the king. Krishna was Devaki's eighth pregnancy. Does that sound like a virgin birth? He was never crucified, either.

Dionysus was the son of Semele, a mortal, and Zeus, who had sex to conceive him. He was not a "traveling teacher." The only reference to him turning water into wine is from the 3rd century A.D. He was never known by any of those names. He was never crucified.

The Persian Mithra's birthdate is unknown. He was born out of a rock. I suppose that could be considered a "virgin birth", but come on, that's pushing it. He never even died. He was, however, a god of light.

And by the way, the Egyptian Book of the Dead says no such thing regarding Horus. The only people who have made that claim are not Egyptologists by any stretch of the imagination.

My sources? See below.

Source(s): Horus: Geraldine Pinch Harris, Ph.D. (Egyptologist), Richard Wilkinson (Egyptologist), Robert Bianchi (museum curator, well-known expert in Egyptian mythology and art) Attis: Pausanius Krishna: Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads Dionysus: Walter Otto (well-known Greek mythology expert), Euripides, Pausanius, Apollodorus Mithra: The Avesta, and Manfred Clauss (well-known Mithraic expert)

Oh my gosh, I was wondering the same thing! I am a Catholic, but I have heard all of these stories recently, which has really made me question things. And did you know there are all sorts of Greek/Christian parallels? In Greek mythology, Zeus got mad and sent a flood, after telling some man to build an ark to save his family! And also there is the Garden of Hesperides, which has a tree of apples guarded by a serpent! And in the Bible, in Peter 2, there is even a reference to Tartarus, which is a place of eternal punishment in Hades/Hell. So basically, I don't know how they explain those stories. I find it interesting the excuses some people in the Church come up with to deny things like this.

But are Greek mythology and other "mythological religions" so much more impossible when you read about things like this? And read all of these identical stories from way before Jesus's time? It is just very interesting. Email me and we can talk more about it!! ;) The same question has been bothering me for ages.

~Meg~

P.S. If you are interested in the Greek mythology thing, watch Clash of the Gods on history channel- Monday nights at 10:00. Also, did you watch the movie Religulous with Bill Mohr? Just curious because he talks about lots of this stuff.

I think that most of the people who are giving their answers here missed the point. I see where people are telling this guy its bologney, and it "means nothing"...the point he's trying to make is not that these other Gods are in fact Gods, nor is he saying that they are true events. He is simply stating that it is historically documented before the time of Jesus these accounts/myths. It's like if I wrote a novel about a woman who became a unicorn, had a dinosaur mother, and then became president. Then 20 years later, some woman becomes a unicorn, has a dinosaur mother and becomes president.

He's asking how do you explain the similarities between the mentioned accounts and Jesus' story? Too similar to be overlooked.

Before anyone answers something to the effect of Jesus is lord...it's in the bible..I know blah blah blah...Look at the question! It is this; How do you explain the same occurence several times before Jesus' story?

Although I would accept that there is some truth in the claims you make, I would be much happier if you could cite some reliable early sources for these myths. I suspect that your version has more than a bit of anti-Christain propaganda mixed in with the genuine bits of ancient mythology.

Having said that, there are Christians who have given thought to the similarities between ancient myths and the story of Christ. CS Lewis, for instance, in his essay "Myth Became Fact", argues that the earlier myths were shadows of the truth, in some sense divinely inspired and prefiguring the full truth that was to be revealled when Christ came. But he also makes the important point that none of the earlier myths ever had a precise historical context. Only in the case of Christ is the story rooted in a specific time and place, and only in the case of Christ were there witnesses so sure of what they had seen that they were prepared to face persecution and death for telling of their experiences.

• Paul D

You should do some more research on your religions. I saw that on Zeitgeist too though. But it isn't as factually sound as it may seem. All of these Gods, including Jesus Christ have had different stories and dates surrounding their birth.

Horus:

http://stupidevilbastard.com/index/seb/comments/en...

Attis:

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/attis.html

Krishna: I don't even know how they got Dec. 25 or a virgin birth from Krishna. I have studied Hindu and never seen Dec. 25th as the date of any Hindu Gods birth. Here is the wiki link that has his estimated birth date and conception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

Dionysus

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/dionysusmyth/qt...

You have to remember that the Bible is rarely written from firsthand. Most of the stories are recitations of oral histories. As we all know the dates and details and language itself may have changed.

The Bible never declares the exact date of Jesus' birth. So what you are refuting is a popularized interpretation of the Bible. The real reason for the 25th of December date is because of it's relation to other religions I am sure. But, the Bible itself makes no mention of the date.

The life of Christ was also documented by a Jewish historian by the name of Flavius Josephus along with that of John the Baptist and Jesus brother James the Just. Were the other Gods or saviors documented in written history by some other outside contemporary historian of their time? I hate to answer a question with a question, but I like to keep with the jewish tradition of doing so.

Source(s): Study

If you think about it...the proverbial God is in an all out war against the proverbial Devil (Satan, Lucifer). If God, who created man, all races, there would be some accounts that match up. But, you would have to agree that if Lucifer, at the beginning was close to God, he would understand how God worked. Thus, it would be easy for him to lie to certain races. Lies more often than not have a little truth in them, thus making them believable. Say maybe Satan was Dionysus, Mithra, Attis or Krishna?