Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Little or big reasons to be happy?

I asked this question at about 11pm last night, so I'm thinking I can get more answers this time.

I posted this question in two places, Psychology and Polls & Surveys.

Life has been letting me down lately, which is why I often feel depressed or worried these days, but I realized that none of my problems are serious or significant compared to the grand scheme of things.

I don't have a life-threatening illness, both of my parents are alive and happily married, I'm well-fed everyday and my parents buy me everything I need, I don't take drugs/drink alcohol or have sex, and I have a few close friends that make me very happy.

I'm always in my own world, only caught up in my problems and not really aware of my surroundings.

It's a strange phase I'm going through; I've never felt this way.

There's a lot on my mind, and you could say that I'm going through the same situations everyone is going through or has gone through in their life, like worrying about grades, appearance, and relationships.

So I thought about it, and I came to one conclusion:

There is no real or specific reason for me to sad, but there is also no reason to be happy, either.

In a world of disease, starvation, economic crisis, global warming, toxic waste, murder, rape, racism, homophobia, sexism, and emotional pain, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?

I desperately need some reasons to be happy, so that I can regain my ability to smile.

Anyone who can come up with the best or most reasons will get ten points.

Best Answer

I have depression and the only way I keep going to to remind myself of little reasons to be happy. The big stuff doesn't help me surprisingly.

Big stuff - friends, family, a roof over my head, a job (even if it sucks, at least I have one I suppose), my health (of sorts), the fact that I exist. Yep, none of that makes you feel any better does it?

So the key, I've found, is the little things. Take joy in the little, daft, totally meaningless stuff. Such as:

My favourite magazine produces its new issue on a Thursday - so Thursday is a 'good' day.

I enjoy car boot sales, so I go to one every Sunday - so Sunday is a 'good' day.

On Monday night, I treat myself to my favourite meal - so Monday is a 'good' day.

See where I'm going with this?

General little things that help me feel happy:

My daughter smiling.

Fresh flowers.

The smell of cinnamon, or freshly cut grass.

When it's sunny.

When I have a day off work.

When I have a tidy house.

Taking myself out for pizza.

Meeting friends for coffee.

Taking my daughter swimming or to the play centre.

Changing my hairstyle.

Wearing something I feel good in.

Sitting outside reading a good book.

Watching a great comedy.

Listening to a favourite feel-good song.

Singing out loud and dancing around the kitchen like a nutter.

Humming 'I Feel Good' to myself (James Brown is definite feel-good music!)

Eating ice-cream.

Going to an art gallery and looking at an amazing picture.

Sending an email to a friend to cheer her up.

Walking in the park.

Walking along the beach.

Hugging someone.

When a stranger does something nice - like holds the door for me, or smiles at a child.

Stroking my cat.

Lying in a warm cosy bed.

Breathing fresh sea air.

Browsing in second-hand book stores.

Putting on perfume.

Hearing a good joke.

Having an ice-cold drink on a really hot day.

Sinking into a perfect temperature bath.

Sitting outside on a cool, quiet night and looking at the stars.

Taking a moment just to remind myself that I matter. I exist.

There is joy everywhere. It is just often hard to find it.

Sorry u feel that way, but we all have our depression bouts.

Also sorry to tell u that only YOU can make u happy. Everything else is only a fast fix/band aid.

Life also seems easy 4 u, silver spoon & all that u didnt learn to appreciate anything.

Try volunteering in helping the needy or something like that? Helping others is always a winner in helping w depression.

U prob don't wanna hear this but ur too selfish, resulting in lack of compassion.

So my guess is for u to put urself out there & experience things for urself. Get a part time job, rather than depending on ur parents.

A really big reason to be happy?

Senator Ted Kennedy is GONE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

This may sound stupid and i know how you feel, this is what i think of ..

There is still love. i mean as in meeting the person of your dreams and them becoming your life. Sounds stupid but that's all that has kept me from offing myself before.

"I'm always in my own world"

That explains it, then.

When you can be happy with the world you live in, you'll have the biggest reason imaginable to be happy.

Not that your imagined world is no reason to be happy, of course.