• Science & Mathematics >
  • Chemistry
  • Science & Mathematics >
  • Chemistry

Is POP (plaster of paris) toxic? Is the use of POP for home interior dangerous to health?

  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Best Answer
  • karin answered 6 years ago
Plaster of Paris is an odourless powder consisting mostly or entirely of calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CaSO4•1/2H2O) and is generally non-toxic.

Although Plaster of Paris is non-toxic, however, ingestion of a sufficient quantity could lead to mechanical obstruction of the gut, especially the pyloric region.

Where there is a danger is in the dust: Prolonged and repeated exposure to airborne free respirable crystalline silica can result in lung disease (i.e., silicosis)
and/or lung cancer. This is especially true of industrial grade building quality material that may contain crystalline silica. Under normal 'domestic' conditions, you are very unlikely to suffer any harm using it.

This is the MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET for Plaster of Paris:

  • 0
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

  • Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Zor Prime answered 6 years ago
    Lancenigo di Villorba (TV), Italy

    Well, PLASTER OF PARIS is an ancient pygment coming from French as its name suggests. Really, it has been named beacause French was the country using the largest amount of this pygment. POP IS A WHITE PYGMENT BASED ON LEAD CARBONATE, e.g. onto CERUSSITE. MAY IT RESULT POISONOUS ONE?
    Well, POP results poisonous by direct assimilation once it has been manufactured, e.g. Fresh Pygment instead old peinture which don't.

    PLASTER OF PARIS means a jelly-mass (PLASTER) having a white sludge. However, most effective artisans in ancient europe aren't dutchmen despite frenchmen ; in Netherlands, manufacturers learnt that LEAD-WARES HAD TO ENTERS IN PITs FILLED BY MOIST AND ORGANIC MATTERs.
    So, bacteria activities will ferment organic stuffs and BACTERIA ASSURE THE CONDITION LOOKED FOR :
    -) aerobic bacteria breath air and it diminute the availability of Oxygen ;
    -) aerobic bacteria slow down and anaerobic bacteria ferment organic stuff ;
    -) fermentation gives off Carbon Dioxide which saturate the pit.
    De-aerated conditions allow a late corrosion of Lead-wares forming its Basic Carbonate

    2 Pb(s) + CO2(g) + O2(g) + H2O(aq) ---> Pb(OH)2.PbCO3(s)

    which is on the basis of POP.

    POP had been involved in phenomenon of BLACK MARY, e.g. the religious pictures which turned black.
    Indeed, ancient candles came from Animal Fat which burn leaving of Sulphur-rich Fumes. Well, the Sulphur-rich gas react against POP to form the LEAD SULPHIDE

    Pb(OH)2.PbCO3(s) + 2 H2S(g) --->
    ---> 2 PbS(s) + CO2(g) + 3 H2O(aq)

    having black colouration.

    I hope this helps you.
    • 0
    • Comment
  • Sujeet Blessing answered 6 years ago
    At normal room temperature POP is non-toxic. However, at high temperatures it generates toxic oxides of sulfur (Under extreme conditions, so, don't worry). Since, you are using it for interior decoration, I don't see any problem in using it.
    • 0
    • Comment
  • 1 answer hidden
  • tom answered 8 months ago
    Use like it suppose to be used and you'll be fine!! :)
    • 0
    • Comment
  • Is POP (plaster of paris) toxic? Is the use of POP for home interior dangerous to health?
    Sign In 

    to add your answer

Who is following this question?

    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week: