What is the best Caliber/MM or guage for self/home defense?

Please take into consideration: defensibility in court, recoil, amount of penetration/over-penetration, and any other factors that would bear on the use of a firearm for defensive purposes. Please give your thoughts on why you would choose that particular weapon.

I know what my answer would be, what is yours?

Otto: I would agree that the sound of a shotgun action being worked would scare the hell out of a burgular. However, I, even though I am a large man, would have a hard time concealing it for everyday carry. Ellaborate on what kind of shot you would use. Birdshot wouldn't do much good, 4 buck would be overkill.

Favorite Answer

A 9 mm with frangible rounds would be good. It's effective and frangible rounds in that caliber wouldn't penetrate walls with enough inertia to be very lethal. I'm not sure about .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Even frangible rounds might retain a lot of inertia on the other side of a sheet rock wall. Ask gun dealers about that. I think .40S&W is a better all-around caliber if the penetration isn't a problem.

You're thinking way too into this. A 12 gauge will work wonders. Besides, there is no sound in the world to scare a robber like a pump action shotgun.