Did Jesus pray to the Father in Christ's name?

Jehovah's Witnesses pray to the Father through Jesus Christ, did Jesus do that as our perfect example? Or did He talk to the Father directly?

Favorite Answer

Jesus was able to pray to the Father directly because, as the actual Son of God, he did not require anyone to intercede on his behalf or act as a mediator between him and God.

That is why it so amazing that Jesus told his disciples they too could address God as 'Father'. It's all about relationship with God. Christians are adopted as sons/daughters and are co-heirs to the promise. Check out Romans chapter 8, but especially verses 14 - 17: "because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children, heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

See also Galatians 3:12 and 4:7; Ephesians 3:6; Hebrews chapter 1 and 1 Peter 3:7.

What a glorious privilege, to enter into relationship with our heavenly Father because we are now adopted! But Jesus, as a literal Son of God, was able to speak directly to his heavenly Father.

With regard to what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, they say only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus can be in that relationship - be anointed and be heirs to the promise.

However, Jesus said (in John 14:13-14) that anything we ask for in the name of Jesus, he will grant - the literal translation of John 14:14 is 'If ever anything you should ask me in the name of me this I shall do.' That is why it is fitting and proper to pray to the Father in the name of the Son. After all, they are one and the same!

Jesus just pray / talk directly to the Father, since Jesus is Christ there is no need for Him to say in Chrsit's name or in Jesus' name. Just something like: "Father, its Me, I think we must bless Nina today with ...".

to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. 9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.” Hebrews 1 Both Jesus and His Father are God. Yes we can pray to both Jesus and God the Father.

Jesus talked directly to His Father, just like any Son would to talk His Dad.

Source(s): 43+ years following a Jewish Carpenter & studying His Book!

Jesus did not need the atonement he was perfect and righteous.

He is our example and yet we are not perfect and righteous and need a Savior.

Jesus does not need an intercessor we sinners are dependent on him.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

did He talk to the Father directly?

--Dude, the guy was telepathic! You should have seen it.

I saw some blood on his forehead, we called a doctor

but he refused one.

Fun fact: To suggest that 'Jesus' and 'Christ' are

different characters is actually Gnostic in origin.

Source(s): Eye witness of Jesus praying too himself.

we pray in the name of Jesus because we are not Him. Jesus didn't have to say "in the name of Jesus." That wouldn't make sense because God knows its him praying.

John 17 (New Living Translation)

John 17

The Prayer of Jesus

1 After saying all these things, Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you. 2 For you have given him authority over everyone. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. 3 And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth. 4 I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began.

6 “I have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you, 8 for I have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that I came from you, and they believe you sent me. 9 “My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. 10 All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory.

Yes but the Lord Darth Vader never answers my prayers when I pray through Luke Skywalker.

Jesus had acess to his Father