Starting out whole milk two weeks before 12 months old?

I asked this quesiton before and didn't get much of a response so I am just trying again at a different time. My son is 2 weeks away from turning one! He turns one on September 4th. I am still nursing, but my husband thinks that I should start the weaning process now. The reason why is because my husband is... show more I asked this quesiton before and didn't get much of a response so I am just trying again at a different time.

My son is 2 weeks away from turning one! He turns one on September 4th. I am still nursing, but my husband thinks that I should start the weaning process now. The reason why is because my husband is in a black tie wedding a couple of days after my son's birthday and we are planning on leaving him with my in-laws.
I am currently nursing my son before each meal and then one more time before bed. My husband thinks that I should start giving him whole milk before dinner this week and then whole milk before lunch next week, then on his birthday cut out the morning nursing and replace with whole milk. That way we have a week to get him use to not nursing before bed before he spends two nights at my in laws house.
I am torn because I am such a rule follower and I know that I have read that babies shouldn't get whole milk before turning one. I am totally ready to start weaning him. As a family, we decided to wean him from nursing at his first birthday. Does two weeks really matter? I would also not be cutting him off cold turkey, he would still nurse a couple times a day before his first birthday. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Update: I am a bit surprised that I am not getting more postive feed back for nursing my son for 12 months! That is a lot more than many other mothers decide to do. I stated above, the wedding is black tie and it was very clear on the invitation that children are not invited. On top of that my husband is in the wedding,... show more I am a bit surprised that I am not getting more postive feed back for nursing my son for 12 months! That is a lot more than many other mothers decide to do.
I stated above, the wedding is black tie and it was very clear on the invitation that children are not invited. On top of that my husband is in the wedding, so it is not a choice of going for him.