Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Is there a difference between server memory and desktop memory?

I've been looking on newegg.com between 240 pin DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM sticks and I don't see any mentionable differences between the two. Can anyone educate me on this matter?

• FunSun
    Best Answer

Server memory is consider to be important and desktop memory is considered to be not that important. So server memory usually have error correction code built into the memory chip.

So each byte is 8 bits. For desktop memory, 1 byte is consisted of 8 bits. For server memory, 1 byte is 8 bits plus 1 error bit which is 9 bits.

So if they use 1Gbit chips to build 1GByte memory, they use 8 chips for desktops(8Gbits) and 9chips for server memory(9Gbits).

So if the computer/motherboard supports ECC, then you need ECC memory chip(server chip), and if it does not support ECC, then you need to get non-ecc chip(desktop chip or laptop chip).

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): difference server memory desktop memory: https://bitly.im/EYAwj

Typically 'server memory' just means the ram has ECC built into it. Typical desktops don't need ECC (error correcting code) so they don't usually have/support it. This may not be the case, but it's something to look for. If it is ECC RAM, you'll just need to see if your motherboard supports it.