Can i refinance my auto loan?

i basically had one option when i bought my 2005 toyota corolla, which was to get a $15,000 "blank check" auto loan at 17%. now i'm down to ~$8,000 but for the past year or so (until this past month) i was late. i only saw my free credit report which shows my score as 542. i read you need to be... show more i basically had one option when i bought my 2005 toyota corolla, which was to get a $15,000 "blank check" auto loan at 17%.
now i'm down to ~$8,000 but for the past year or so (until this past month) i was late.
i only saw my free credit report which shows my score as 542. i read you need to be current for three months before trying to refinance. but i read you cant refinance for less than $7,500. by the time i pay the next two months on time my total balance will be slightly less than $7,500. with a pretty poor payment history and no credit cards, am i stuck just paying this existing loan off? i pay almost $400/month for my car, which's a joke.
please advise if youre in the know. thank you!!