Is this a good Idea, to move to Hawaii?

I am 20 yrs old. .I am currently a new EMT and am wanting to get my life started! I am in school doing some pre reqs, but i'm I think i might be ready to leave my little country town and see newer things. I am interested in moving to Hawaii, but not sure how or where to look for places to rent. Does anyone have any ideas? I am wanting to start out as an EMT there and become a nurse in the future. Is this to risky to do right now, or should I just go for it? Any Idea how much it might costfor living expenses there? Please leave any advice or websites, share some young scary moving experiences to make me feel better! lol thanks

Favorite Answer

The easiest way to calculate cost of living differences is to use a web site that will give you a comparison btwn where you currently live & Honolulu. Here is a link:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving...

If you are going to undertake an adventure like that, now is the time in your life to do it, as long as you have some money tucked aside to see you through if things do not work out as you hope. You are young, no family to support & are probably used to living a fairly spartan, student lifestyle. When I moved to Hawaii, I lived at the YWCA residence for a month & met another young woman who was looking for a roommate. She eventually moved back to Memphis, but I am still here 34 years later. Most EMTs work for the City & County of Honolulu & unfortunately, the city & state governments here are going through a ot of cut backs. That may make it hard to find a job, but you never know. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/esd/ems/emsorg.htm

A few things to consider:

It helps if you are able to get along with all different kinds of people, as Honolulu is a very racially diverse place You need to be able to live as a minority w/o a chip on your shoulder & thinking that any problems you encounter are because you are a haole (Caucasian).

Some people get rock fever. It is expensive & time consuming to travel most anywhere. If you miss your family or want to go back for the holidays, it is a major undertaking.

Please bring enough money to cover several months of expenses & keep enough set aside to get yourself back to the mainland if necessary. Some folks come over here w/ unrealistic expectations & end up homeless because it is more expensive than they think & they aren't able to land a job. Understand that your money just won't go as far as you are used to & scale back your expectations for an apartment, car, frequency of nights out on the town, etc.

Having said all that, Honolulu is an amazing place to live. I love it here & the plusses for me far outweigh the negatives. Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

Source(s): Honolulu resident

Aloha - congratulations on pondering this brave new world! Personally at 20 I would have been scared to go alone but, knowing what I know now about HI - I would do it!

look at want ads in the local papers online, healthcare is a pretty big industry especially on Oahu - it is likely you could get a job, but be sure to do your research.

Cost of living is higher in HI as most things are shipped in, so, if you want to do this, you may be doing with less - but really how important is the DVD collection or your going out for dinner habit when you're living in paradise?

If you cant get a friend to go with you, make sure you find a good group of people to meet once you arrive. Join groups that have similar interests, if thats church, volunteering, surfing - get involved and build a base of great people around you, that will help a lot!

I've included links to local papers, grocery stores and a few apartment finding sites - also if you come to www.hawaii.com and join the message boards, there is a board dedicated solely to people hoping to relocate to HI (I'm msutton8)

Best wishes on your adventure!

Source(s): www.honoluluadvertiser.com www.starbulletin.com www.safeway.com http://timessupermarkets.com/ www.apartments.com www.sublet.com www.hawaii.com

i have looked into this myself as well. it seems as though the world can be really small nowadays lol. www.craigslist.com will show postings of apartments, houses, etc for sale, rent, you name it. its completely useful when searching for something like this. i've found a few places that are relatively the same price as here. keep in mind that usually the closer to the sea you are, the more expensive the place will be. also, don't have a particular island in mind, just move to the one with the cheapest to start off with. then travel the isles to see which are of more interest to you and which have the cheapest apartments. besides, its always fun to island hop, and you'll be doing it for educational purposes

• britts

i know quite a few people that are moving to or used to live in hawaii.. via the military..

cost of living in hawaii is crazy expensive becuase everything has to be shipped there food is expensive, housing is expensive, everyhting... .. and as a just starting out in life 20yr old i really wouldnt suggest it...

i mean i would love to move there, i just dont have the money for it..

Please don't go there just because of what you've seen in the movies. Its not the best place to actually live at, because you're 6 hours min. from the main land! you'll get bored after a while, probably, because its not the tropical wonderland people make it out to be. not to say that I don't like it there, i love it. just not to live in. what you could do is vist it though

NO, believe me i lived in Hawaii for 3yrs. It was horrible your isolated on a island with NO where to go You can go around Hawaii in 3 hrs.

Aloha and mahalo for your time

aloha-love, hi and etc

mahalo-thank you

Source(s): personnal experiences

go on craigslist and try and find a place to live or your can go on realtor.com too. also craigslist has job postings too i would say go for it what do you have to lose? worst come to worst you move come a find somewhere else to move maybe take a friend with you so you have someone there

keep dreaming,,, tons of people move here via militray and they STILL hate it here.... good luck, idealistic dork!

Go for it you will enjoy the change