Moving to America - which State?

I'm thinking about moving from the UK to the US once I've finished my schooling and am into college or university. Which do you think would be the better time to move and which state would be the best to move to?

Also, I'm not too clear on what age you're allowed to emigrate from the UK, especially since the schooling in America and UK are very different. If I have made a mistake in saying I want to move during college because I'd be too young, my apologies.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm not fussed about the weather; but just an average temperature would be nice. Somewhere that is fairy metropolitan but has a nice side as well; and somewhere where the cost of living isn't too high and there are a lot of jobs available would be nice as well.

Thankyou.

To Charlie; I know I can't simply move to America. I have immediate family living there and I'm hoping to go to University there as well.

Favorite Answer

Columbus, Ohio is a nice place.

I've lived there for all 28 years of my life, and have no complaints.

With a city population of around 800,000 and a metro area population of around 2,000,000 we are the fastest growing (if not the only growing) city in the state of Ohio, and one of the fastest growing in the mid-western U.S.

The job market here is very good, and there are many major corporations who have their headquarters here.

We are the second cheapest city in the U.S. (after Tucson, AZ) for apartment rentals, and purchasing real estate is fairly inexpensive here as well.

There are many things to see and do in this city.

We have countless bars and nightclubs.

We are a very liberal city, and are home to the largest college in North America (The Ohio State University).

After San Francisco, we have the second largest gay and lesbian population in the U.S. (if that's something you're into, no offense if you're not).

There is lots of culture here and a huge arts scene as well.

We are very close to many other cities (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis are within a 3 hour drive).

For more information about Columbus, click on the links below:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Columbus

http://www.osu.edu/

You are one of dozens of young Brits who write in here every week with a similar question. You need to know the truth so you can make alternate plans. You cannot simply "move" to America...or anywhere else outside of the EU. It is almost impossible for a U.K. citizen to immigrate to the U.S. If you want to try for a temporary work visa, you must be highly educated and skilled, find an employer to give you a contract and sponsor your work visa. See 1st site. To actually immigrate, you must have an immediate family member to sponsor you, or an absolutely astounding work skill...see 2nd site. U.K.citizens are not eligible for immigration thru the Diversity Lottery Program...which gives people an extremely slim chance anyway. Every year, about 10million people try to immigrate to the U.S., and only 50,000 make it...most thru family sponsorship or the diversity program. MANY Brits express the same desire you have, but simply cannot immigrate to the U.S. You could consider attending University in the U.S. thru a student visa...requires a very large savings to cover your expenses. So, studying visa requirements is your first priority, then if you decide to try for a student visa, affordability of the school and location are the next big concerns. If you decide to check into U.S. universities...remember New york and California are the most expensive places to live and attend university. Choose a a state and a school that are more reasonable in costs...not New York City, or a big name eastern school. there are plenty of excellent, lesser known schools.

Where you decide to live would very much depend on your interests, preferences, activities and possible employment. Any health conditions / issues would also need to be considered.

I have lived in a few states: Ft. Collins, Colorado is a great city; just the right size. But very cold and windy in winter. I have visited other areas you should check out: Kansas City, Missouri, and Austin Texas, are very interesting areas to visit.

Lakeland, Florida was a nice college town for me. Lakes and walking trails around at least one of them. St. Augustine, I believe is the oldest settlement in Florida. Interesting history. I went to a restaurant on the coast there; a thatched hut with verrrry tasty steak and lobster. Florida is very warm and has afternoon storms. Mississippi has some interesting places. Not really crazy about Mississippi, though. That is probably because I have lived in Louisiana most of my life; it seems similar. Very hot and humid in the summer. But, I have been drawn back here because of our woods. It is home. And green. With lots of trees. And casual living. I'm staying.

Source(s): Don't have time today. But I've been there and done that. The person with the question should continue to do research and enjoy the knowledge.

First thing to do is to apply for a visa and/or work permit. There is a quota for immigrants from the UK and evidently a very long waiting period. You would need to find an employer willing to help you get your work permit and would likely need to have some skill that is in short supply in the US. Official info on traveling to the US can be found at the State Department website.

I would stay right where I am because things are reasonably priced in the mid-west. I live in Indiana, and I like having a place that has all 4 seasons. Housing and food costs are better than on either east or west coast. Don't have to worry about hurricanes or typhoons. Lots of small towns that are close to big cities, so flexibility in jobs and locations. And last of all lots of trees! I love the woods and creeks and parks.

You know, personally, I think my own home state of New Jersey is very underrated. A lot of people refer to it as "the armpit of America" and give us a lot of nonsense about our bad attitudes and such. But really, New Jersey offers some of the best things you can find in the United States.

We're not a very big state, you can drive the entire length in probably three or four hours (depending on if you follow the speed limit signs or do as the rest of us do, drive 80mph whenever possible). But we're right near Manhattan if you want to check out the wonders of New York City, and very close to Philadelphia which is an awesome city as well. We're only a few hours' drive from Washington D.C. if you ever want to check out how our politics work in their natural environment.

We've got suburbs. We've got cities. We've got sleepy little towns near the ocean, country villages with nothing going on but lots of farm land if that's your thing. We've got beaches -- not all of which are as beautiful as some of the country's other beaches, true, but we've got a huge selection of where to sunbathe all within an hour or two drive no matter how far away you are in our state. We've got a great music scene no matter what genre you're into and plenty of venues to check out live music. We've got strip clubs if you're into that, too, because we're liberal enough to realize some people aren't as uptight as the southern bible thumpers. We've got gambling in Atlantic City and we aren't far from a few out of state gambling establishments, either. We have 24-hour diners all over the place, one of the only states to have a selection of them within a 20 minute drive no matter where you are. We've got tourist traps at the boardwalks and locally grown produce if you're into the organic movement. We're a vast melting pot of people, cultures, religions... Anyone can fit in here! And we even have our own local publication that became a nationwide phenomenon about all the great Weird things going on in our beautiful state. And the malls! There are six malls within twenty minutes of my house and the same can be said of any other town I know of. If you like to shop, you'll love it here! Our public transportation system is awesome if you don't drive, you can get anywhere from anywhere if you've got a basic knowledge of the bus/train system and a few bucks and some patience. And you've always got the chance of running into a random celebrity because lots of them make their homes here, even if they have to fly back and forth from Hollywood to film. And since we're such a large, industrialized state.. There's still work to be had here. Sure we've been hit by the economic crisis, but if you're willing to look outside the box, you'll find something.

I could go on for hours. I should just stop now, lol.

Source(s): Jersey girl, born and raised, 25 years old.

Do you like hot or cold, what kind of industry are you in, what activities do you like, how much does cost of living matter to ya.....all of these should be considered.

Living in Vermont vs Texas vs Montana vs California are all different experiences. Ive lived all over the US and my top three are Texas, Colorado and California (Ca is too expensive). A house in Texas that sells for 135k (4 bed 1900 square foot) is 900k in California.

North east is a nice place to visit. I lived in Vermont for a few years and frankly its too cold and everyone hides indoors out of the cold. As a result it is big butt country. Taxes are crazy and welfare is ridiculous. A few months during the year it is fantastic and lake Champlain was a great place to take out the bout during the short window of nice weather.

It depends on what you want to experience.

The California beach scene is laid back and very enjoyable. Pacific Beach is a nice town.

Virginia is central to the east coast and not too cold in the winter. easy to make side trips to other locations. Charlottesville is a nice place.

Florida has lots going for it. Again if you area beach person maybe Ft. Lauderdale?

I would get an extended visa before I would commit to immigrate, just to see if I like it.

• Niner

It all depends what your preferences are. Metropolitan versus rural? Climate? Ethnic and social activities? Other factors?

I read a great survey on an airplane recently. It is available online at MONEY.COM. I've lived in the US all my life, and it made me want to move!!! Check it out.

COLORADO! its central its conveniant and were at the forefront of green technology and have the most microbreweries per capita in the US!