Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If there is no God, then why does He have a name?

If you say that there is no God,

well, why do you use his name?

and swear your brains off using Jesus' name

and when you are exasperated you swear out the profanity and attach the name of God/ Jesus to it.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I can think of THOUSANDS of gods. they all have names.

They must, by your logic, also be real.

In the name of Apollo, please tell me you're joking!

May Ra's holy light shine on your day!

and may Hela not see you as you rise towards Valhalla!

SHEESH!

• 1 decade ago

The concept of "God" has been implanted into most people since they were children. If people, even atheists, want to talk about religion, the only common term that can be used, that translates across all religions is god. The word god can also refer to any deity or supreme spiritual entity and some religions have many gods.

As far as the swearing goes, saying gad, jesus, holy crap, etc is far better and much more accepted than using F's, C's and S's...

• 1 decade ago

Yes there is a God and he does have a name according to such scriptures as Psalms 83:18, Exodus 6:3, Isaiah 12:2 & 26:4.

Although his name once appeared over 7000 times in the original Hebrew scriptures alone, modern bible translators have remove that name from many parts of the bible except from the scriptures mentioned above. Some bibles now a days do not contain His name at all. Some have felt that God's name is to Holy for sinful humans to say.

How sad! According to many scriptures in the bible knowing and using that name is important. for example The Authorized Version says “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

(Isaiah 12:4) . . .“Give thanks to Jehovah, YOU people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high." NWT

A Sincere Bible Student

H B J

• CSE
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

God isn't the Christian god's name. That would be YHWH.

There were gods before the Bible referred to the Christian/Judaic god as God. They just capitalize it to set it apart from the others.

Obscenities have always been tied to religious words because that's always been the harshest expression one could make in society. It would have been considered the strongest form of cursing when one invokes the name of their gods to express their anger, frustration, etc.

With Christianity having played a major role in the history of Western civilization for near 2000 years, expressions using the names of deities from that religion are going to be leftover even when the belief in that religion falters.

It's just like people still saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. They're not saying it because they believe what people used to believe about saying it, no more than telling somebody else to "go to Hell" means that the person actually believes there is a hell.

It's just an expression that's persisted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Eli
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

That's like saying if Harry Potter doesn't exist, why do we call him Harry Potter?

If I happen to swear using God or Jesus's name, it's only because those exclamations have entered the popular vernacular. You can also celebrate Christmas with out being Christian, because you like the idea of giving gifts to your loved ones, and perhaps participate in the tradition of trees with lights, ornaments, etc., because none of those things have anything to do with actually believing in Jesus.

• 1 decade ago

Should we say "Oh on, great big Flying Spaghetti Monster!" instead.

Would that make you happy?

---------

What about all the other God's that have been worshiped throughout history?

Rah, Hathor, Oden, Thor, Zeus, Calypso, Ares, Apollo, Athena, Huitzilopitchli and Many many more...

http://www.godchecker.com/

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bilbo Baggins has a name.

Does that mean there are Hobbits?

Use of a deity's name is what adults call a "figure of speech". It means absolutely nothing.

Your question makes about as much sense as claiming that if you use the word "atheist", that's proof there is no [insert deity of choice here]. I'm sure you would agree with me that such an argument would be monumentally stupid.

• 1 decade ago

I think that's a line from The Young Ones.

• 1 decade ago

for the same reason that santa claus has a name. for the same reason that people don't just say jesus's name when they're angry--they even say things like "holy s *% t " It doesn't make excrement holy, does it?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Look in the real world.

Decode this lyrics " You'll see "

"Say you say me "

"Knowing me knowing you"

"If you don't know me by now"

Who gave God a name?

Luke 21.30-36

Luke 24.44-45,47-48

Exodus 6.3

Revelation 22.13-17

Matt 22.17-21,32

Exodus 23.24,32

What do you think?

Source(s): decoded from the missing x-files.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.