Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

was Sherlock Holmes a real person ?

I have heard that Doyle based his books on an actual Scotland Yard detective. Once I saw a magazine that showed alleged pictures of Watson's revolver. Then again I've heard a lot of stuff that wasn't true.

Favorite Answer

He's fictional, but he is based on Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle's medical tutor Dr. Joseph Bell.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

was Sherlock Holmes a real person ?

Source(s): sherlock holmes real person: https://tr.im/flBqS

Doubt it. I had a look on Wikipedia and no mention of how Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle came up with the character.... It does mention the use of addictive drugs so it is highly unlikely that he would have been some kind of officer of the law in real life especially in the late 1800.

• Vidocq

No, he was never a real person, neither was Watson. His methods (not his personality though) were based from Dr Joseph Bell who was a pioneer in Forensic Science and who helped Scotland Yard with many cases, most notable amongst which is the case of Jack The Ripper.

But the man himself never existed.

Nope. He was a fictional character written in a series of stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

It is possible, however I don't know for sure

I Wish he was

Source(s): SH BIG FAN

r u guys serious????? sherlock holmes isnt real?????

yes most definetly

i think so.... not completly sure tho