Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

was Sherlock Holmes a real person ?

I have heard that Doyle based his books on an actual Scotland Yard detective. Once I saw a magazine that showed alleged pictures of Watson's revolver. Then again I've heard a lot of stuff that wasn't true.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He's fictional, but he is based on Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle's medical tutor Dr. Joseph Bell.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

was Sherlock Holmes a real person ?

I have heard that Doyle based his books on an actual Scotland Yard detective. Once I saw a magazine that showed alleged pictures of Watson's revolver. Then again I've heard a lot of stuff that wasn't true.

Source(s): sherlock holmes real person: https://tr.im/flBqS
  • 1 decade ago

Doubt it. I had a look on Wikipedia and no mention of how Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle came up with the character.... It does mention the use of addictive drugs so it is highly unlikely that he would have been some kind of officer of the law in real life especially in the late 1800.

• Vidocq
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, he was never a real person, neither was Watson. His methods (not his personality though) were based from Dr Joseph Bell who was a pioneer in Forensic Science and who helped Scotland Yard with many cases, most notable amongst which is the case of Jack The Ripper.

But the man himself never existed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Nope. He was a fictional character written in a series of stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

It is possible, however I don't know for sure

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I Wish he was

Source(s): SH BIG FAN
  • 1 decade ago

r u guys serious????? sherlock holmes isnt real?????

• 1 decade ago

yes most definetly

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think so.... not completly sure tho

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.