Bubba asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

Is a $10-$20 HDMi cable a good quality HDMi cable for a PS3?

I am looking at an Accell HDMi cable from walmart. It's $15 and I want to know will it give 1080p like any other HDMi cable without messing up.

Best Answer

Always audition cables to make it into your system.

Also the writer of the cnet article failed to mention that his wife ( not him personally) owns a vested interest in the cable manufacture that supplies monoprice and bluejeans cable. Hmmm, it also seems that these troll this site and are also responsible for most of the rag against Monster. ( I own monster power conditioners and cables among others).

I have used almost every cable manufacture out there, I have had a $2 RCA sound better than a $3000 transparent at one trade show (it is usually the other way). I subscribe to the rule that no piece of equipment or interconnect is permanent in my system.

Having more than 25 years in the electronics industry I will say that this cable debate is such a hotbed issue. It all boils down to who has the "better system" and "boy did you waste your money on cables" kind of trash talk that permeates the web.

Here are some rules to follow:

Never go above 10% of your total system cost (new) in interconnects.

ALWAYS audition cables and power conditioners, etc.

Make sure YOU are happy with YOUR investment.

EDIT: Response to sauron974

In actuality since HDMI uses TDMS for a transfer protocol, it will not take a huge EM field to disrupt or cause errors. It only takes a field strength of 15V/M @ 30MHz - 45MHz (the last Sony I measured was around 55 V/M same range) for most of these to start showing errors. And since TDMS has no error detection parity you won't know it. However exotic shielding has proven very useful to correct this issue. It is what most manufactures end up specifying.

Cable length is irrelevant at those freqs.

Also it is not a digital signal ( it becomes several in the device) in the cable it is a matrix composite signal, which means shielding is CRITICAL to safeguard data integrity.

I conducted a RF study for special use for DVI and HDMI, Be assured it will not be used for anything that NEEDS to work.

Just note that you cannot make an absolute statement about a electrical circuit unless you are there and can make measuremements without changing the result.

Source(s): Ph.D Physics MSEE

The cable will be okay. Cheap cables do not have the proper shielding necessary to keep additional noise (RF interference) out, so if you see the picture messing up, take the cable back and get another cable.

You should be okay. Usually anything about $10 - $12 and up are okay. Not the best, but nothing you will notice a difference on, unless you have a $5000 home entertainment system.

**EDIT**

I do not agree with the CNET review. Not only is there a video signal higher than 1080p (it is 1440p, used in high end video equipment), you would think CNET would know this. Also, cheap cables, as stated above, don't always have the proper shieding that is required to reduce noise. The cables they are discussing in the article are not considered "cheap" cables. Cheap cables are the ones you can buy for about $2 - $3, these are cheap cables.

I do agree you do not need a $50 cable, or $30 cable for that matter, but if you have problems with a cheaper cable,don't be suprised. Just be prepared to take it back and get another cable.

I have a $100 Monster HDMI cable, and $15 Wal-Mart cable, and I don't notice a difference between the two.

in case you have the element cables, green blue and crimson, its the comparable component as hdmi. in the experience that your speaking approximately having the older ones,yellow white and crimson,then that's extremely worth getting the two hdmi cable or element cables. It seems lots nicer

Absolutely.

HDMI is HDMI. There is no need to shell out any more cash than necessary.

I'd go into more detail, but CNet already did it for me. See the reference below!

**EDIT: Responding to Addidas's point below: Noise is usually a non-issue when dealing with HDMI since:

1) You are usually dealing with VERY short cable lengths

2) HDMI is a digital signal, which is SIGNIFICANTLY less susceptible to induced interference than its analog counterparts. A binary format, with no subtle variations in signal level used to conduct information, requires a lot more induced voltage before the signal degrades to the point that it cannot be reconstituted at the other end. So yes, while it is theoretically possible to degrade the signal of a poorly shielded HDMI signal with a strong enough EM field, the field strength required is not encountered in normal household applications, and would probably be playing merry hob with your stereo speakers long before it got strong enough to screw up your video signal.

Yes! They are all basically the same...I have used a cable had delivered to my door for $5, 3 years ago!

Most of us buy cable on line for a fraction of the price at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Check it out here. This is the cable I use and get superb signal transfer. They have more expensive ones, but this one works great for me.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id...

i'm not sure about accell, but i got $30 vizio HDMI cable and it's prefect (: any should do fine, but you want to make sure it's long enough.

yes it is go on ebay and u can get one for 5 bucks flat.