What should the punishment be for murder of a senior by another senior residing in an assisted living facility?

An 87-year-old man was charged Monday in the beating death of a fellow resident at a Columbia assisted living community, Howard County's first homicide of 2009, according to police.

Earl Lafayette Wilder was charged with second-degree murder and first- and second-degree assault in the attack against James W. Brown, 91, who died Saturday of head trauma, according to authorities. Police said he had been under hospice care after the attack last week.

Officers were called about 4 p.m. Aug. 17 to the Harmony Hall assisted living home in the 6300 block of Cedar Lane for a reported assault, according to police. Wilder and Brown -- both residents of the community -- were sitting outside when Wilder began striking Brown in the head before facility staff intervened, police said.

Investigators do not believe Wilder and Brown knew one another before the attack, which police said was apparently unprovoked. Brown was initially treated at Laurel Regional Hospital before entering hospice care, according to police.

Wilder was taken to Howard County General Hospital for an evaluation after the attack. Police said the charging warrant would serve as a detainer for Wilder, who was being held at an undisclosed facility pursuant to a court order.

Favorite Answer

It is obviously a case of a very old man going haywire. Nobody would act that way unless he was having trouble thinking straight. I am 78 and my husband is 81. We are very lucky to be in our right minds and reasonably healthy but at the same time I realize that the older one gets, and according to physical make up and mental health, suddenly loosing one mind is easier to comprehend when one is in the very senior years.

Compassion is the word here. Revenge is never sweet and in this case I feel very sad for the man that did it, and terribly sad for the family of the man that was killed.

He should be given a mental assessment and find out how far gone he is. I could never say arrest him for murder, not at his age and because he is probably not in his right mind.

• Marie

A couple weeks ago I heard a conversation between a nurse that used to work at a couple of them and a client who had lived in one. I think profits are the most important thing. There were Nurse Ratchett's in all 3 they were talking about, they threatened those residents that they won't let them have guests and other threats if they complain about the conditions. Some of the residents have sound minds and catch everything that is being done wrong, the controllers can't stand it. That thirty-minute conversation turned my stomach. Maybe there are some good ones, but it seemed like none here in my city. The more laws that are passed to regulate such care means the more money that will have to be paid for the services.

sine the guy was still alive and entered hospice care he was not murdered (my opinion) but if the guy died after being alive for a while then the blow would have been something contributing to his death. So the man should get time same as any other person who would contribute to the death of someone. Because he was elderly I would assume they would give him house arrest instead of being in a jail cell and his family would have to make sure he didn't leave home without them. I would suspect the man would also be tested for dementia and other things and that his family should take judo lessons, but I don't suspect that guy will last long either if he is able to ponder what he did.

It's hard to say without all the information. Chances are the attacker has some form of dementia or Alzheimer's and will probably spend the rest of his life in a secure facility of some sort. I know I wouldn't want him in the room beside my loved one.

I dont think he will be charged. There are persons suffering from Alzheimer's who can become extremely violent. It is losing one's mind. The friend who is the caregiver for her husband - 78 - who is diagnosed w/Alzheimer's - can & has become extremely violent & barely manageable. She requires assistance from family members since the family can not afford a lockup facility for his care. I think that we will hear more of these types of situations in the coming year as dementia & Alzheimer's becomes more visible in communities.

• Reese

Well The assisted living facility is in Deep 5hit if you know what I mean ...If that were my father, I would want to know why he was not in a safe environment. and who was to blame what horror.

Second the Perp, needs a mental evaluation and hospitalization himself... if healthy and proved guilty then the Justice system will decide.

the man is 87 that's life. He won't get out In my opinion.

If he is 'of sound mind' then he should be tried like any other person would.

Let him off, then what is to stop him taking another life ?

Why can't they just leave him alone? I mean he's probably about to die anyway. Imagine how his family feels. :(

umm, based on the police report, MURDER!