J T asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog keeps getting UTI's, any home remedies I can try?

My dog keeps getting UTI's... this is the 3rd one she's has in about a 3-4 month period.

The first vet gave her cephalaxin for the problem. She finished the anti-biotics and seemed to be better.

Then she got another one 3 weeks after she finished her medication. I was out of town and took her to a different vet. This vet gave her a shot of penicillin and prescribed a different type of antibiotics.

She finished this round and seemed fine. 4 weeks later she is exhibiting the same signs as before and I'm most certain it's another UTI.

I take her out to use the restroom 4-5 a day. I switched her diet after the second vet said to make sure her diet WASNT high in protein.

Also, the second vet said that it's possible that she may have been spayed too young and if this happened, then its possible that she will have UTI's all of her life.

I'm a college student and can't afford $150 vet bills every couple of weeks...are there any home remedies that can help her out ?

Thanks...

• LAZMUM
    Favorite Answer

If you can get your dog to drink cranberry or orange juice they boost the acidity in your pets urine,reducing the number of bacteria & helping relieve discomfort from u.t.I.s.The problem is getting the pets to drink it.You could try putting out bowlfuls &see what happens or try putting an ounce or two in her breakfast.She should have plenty of water anyway.Its a good idea to let your pet out every couple of hours to flush away any bacteria before they can cause a problem. If she only let out before you go out &when you get home several hours later the bacteria has time to build up &do there dirty work,if you can't get home during the day get someone to let her out & in return you can offer to do it for there pet or ask your vet for advise as u.t.I. can cause kidney infections if not treated.If your vet does give antibiotics give them after she's urinated because then you get the highest concentration of the drug in her system to sap it. Hope this helped good luck

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Then she got another one 3 weeks after she finished her medication. I was out of town and...

Source(s): dog uti 39 home remedies try: https://tinyurl.im/piqiy

Ask the vet to culture the urine to see exactly which bacteria is causing it. She may need a different antibiotic. I had a beagle that had to take antibiotics for a month to clear up an infection,and my GSD has had two in the last 4 months so I am going to take her urine in again to have it checked. But try to make sure the dog drinks enough.You don't have to feed her low protein unless she has kidney failure and even that is questionable now. You can also buy AZO cranberry capsules and give her one or two every day with a drink of chicken broth to wash it down and provide extra fluid.

Also,early spaying will sometimes cause urinary incontinence,but I have never heard of it causing UTIs.

You can add a cranberry supplement to her diet to improve the acidity levels, which deter bacterial growth.

You may consider switching foods again as some wheat glutens and sugars have been linked to UTI's in humans.

If they haven't done so, have her tested for diabetes, as frequent UTI's can be a symptom.

Finally, have an ultrasound done to check for bladder lesions or cancer.

My Aussie, who experienced frequent UTI's ended up having a bladder cancer.

I have a freind who is a homeopathic veterinarian. Unfortunately, most of the cases that come to her are after every other method has been tried without success, and the animal is fairly close to death.

Try looking up a reputable homeopathic vet if you can.

We feed our dogs EVO "red meat small bites" dry food and water, nothing else. Our dogs are very healthy, very active, not overweight, and we canjust leave the food out (indoors of course) 24/7.

Good luck in finding a cure.

Has your pet been tested for diabetes? Many times diabetes in dogs presents itself like a bladder infection because of high blood sugar. If antibiotics aren't working there has to be another problem. Have her tested.

Sorry there are no home remedies. Take her out more often. Dogs do need to go more often than 4-5 times a day.

• bob ©

you need to have the urine cultured! she could have a resistant infection and you need to know!

spaying too early causes incontinence, not uti's.

• Lizzie

As a college student, you should know that there are no worthwhile "home remedies" for urinary tract infections. Sorry.