Blood sugar was 238 after eating lunch an hour later?

I had 1 bacon egg and cheese sandwich and a bowl of grits with mild sugar in it,and a tall glass of water. 3.5 hours later my sugar went down to 107..could that still be indicative for diabetes? Im laid off from work and i have no insurance coverage.Im also weighing at 364,i've changed my way of eating but been lacking on the excersice.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are the numbers.

Normal Fasting Blood Sugar

A normal fasting blood sugar (which is also the blood sugar a normal person will see right before a meal) is:

83 mg/dl (4.6 mmol/L) or less.

Many normal people have fasting blood sugars in the mid and high 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L) range.

Though most doctors will tell you any fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) is "normal", there are several studies that suggest that testing with a fasting blood sugar in the mid 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/L) range often predicts diabetes that is diagnosed a decade later.

Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)

Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

Possible solution: Loss of weight through Diet and exercise. Both the same importance....A low glycemic index and load diet. Don't worry it has most of the foods we like and the ones we should not eat.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

This table includes the glycemic index and glycemic load of more than 2,480 individual food items. Not all of them, however, are available in the United States. They represent a true international effort of testing around the world.

The glycemic index (GI) is a numerical system of measuring how much of a rise in circulating blood sugar a carbohydrate triggers–the higher the number, the greater the blood sugar response. So a low GI food will cause a small rise, while a high GI food will trigger a dramatic spike. A list of carbohydrates with their glycemic values is shown below. A GI is 70 or more is high, a GI of 56 to 69 inclusive is medium, and a GI of 55 or less is low.

The glycemic load (GL) is a relatively new way to assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a fuller picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food's effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 inclusive is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low.

Foods that have a low GL almost always have a low GI. Foods with an intermediate or high GL range from very low to very high GI.

Both GI and GL are listed here. The GI is of foods based on the glucose index–where glucose is set to equal 100. The other is the glycemic load, which is the glycemic index divided by 100 multiplied by its available carbohydrate content (i.e. carbohydrates minus fiber) in grams. (The "Serve size (g)" column is the serving size in grams for calculating the glycemic load; for simplicity of presentation I have left out an intermediate column that shows the available carbohydrates in the stated serving sizes.) Take, watermelon as an example of calculating glycemic load. Its glycemic index is pretty high, about 72. According to the calculations by the people at the University of Sydney's Human Nutrition Unit, in a serving of 120 grams it has 6 grams of available carbohydrate per serving, so its glycemic load is pretty low, 72/100*6=4.32, rounded to 4.

Try it you will like it . Its easy to understand.

Now to the exercise . Walking, 30 minutes a day. Try Nordic walking. Thats with two sticks and putting slight pressure on them. You get 46 % more exercise with them than plain walking.

I really mean this, you don't want the complications that diabetes poses. Do it now and for life. Its up to you how you want to spend your later years.

Kitty

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?ZJbr
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Amazing Diabetes Cure Secrets : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?zybj
  • 1 decade ago

This sounds like diabetes related to weight and not to the pancreas. There are 3 types and 2 of them have to do with the pancreas not producing either enough or no insulin at all. The third is most likely what you are suffering from. You can do allot of things to bring your sugar down. Lose some weight first and foremost. Even without adding your height this sounds like too much. You also could use a change in diet. Just the breakfast you ate alone had almost enough calories for the entire day. Use a sugar substitute. Splenda tastes exactly like sugar, maybe a little sweeter. Exercise, by any means. Walking in the nice time of the day will help burn some of those calories and can also help with exertion. You really can be creative as with not working you have allot of time to do things like this too. Chair exercises to start will help these things too. Get rid of all the fat you're eating. Bacon and cheese are not needed on an egg and toast. Chose one to start with and don't eat slowly either. The quicker you get through the better until you get some weight off. This helps by giving your brain the signal that your stomach is full so you stop. Drink the water between meals and not with. Water helps push the food through the stomach and you end up eating more. Drinking in between will give you more of a full feeling so you don't end up eating then too. Try these suggestions and your weight should start dropping right away. The exercise can start at 4 times a week and when you start losing you'll want to do more. You will get an adrenalin rush from the endorphins your body gives off. Your sugar and weight will start to fall in as little as 2 weeks if you just try. Chair exercise is listed at webmd.com or by googling it. Good luck and God Bless

Source(s): nursing and personal experience I was 292 at 5' so I do know how you feel. Please try this for you and just you. You'll not only feel better, but look allot better too.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Welcome in from the land of DeNile!!! Ignoring the fact that your mom is diabetic and that fact alone gives you a 20% better chance of getting this condition doesn't help! Sugar and sodas DO NOT cause diabetes, but don't help either. Food planning should start with eliminating all starchy foods from your plate. Starchy foods include: cereals, breads, rices, pastas, any other grain product, carrots, corn, potatoes, peas, dried beans/lentils, most milk products, soft sweet fruits, and some other root veggies! These are all high carb count foods that do us no favors at all. As soon as you get your insurance, check the conditional date. As soon as you get past this date, have an appointment with a doctor for a complete physical including blood analysis. You may be able to bring down the glucose counts considerably by following the Atkins or South Beach LIving food plans, eliminating all higher carb foods. But this takes lots of dedication to detail. Also get thee onto an exercise plan!! If nothing else Walk! walk for an hour every day as fast as you can. No holidays or Sundays off! If you start now changing your lifestyle, you may have normalized your glucose counts by the time you have insurance and the trial period on it is past. Then it will be just a matter of follow up visits to the doctor for blood analysis to keep it there for a long period of time. Yes!!! the numbness is glucose connected. No law says it has to be a toe or finger first!! Mine was a knee that sent me to the doctor!!

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDJlv

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.