Filipinos: How many languages do you speak?

Did you went to school to up the particular language you have chosen? What made you decide to take it?

Correction: I meant to asked if did you went to school to take up the said languages.

Favorite Answer

Erygzuss: OMG, so I'm below the average. J/K. Haha. xD

Unlike in the U.S. and other countries where students can take up foreign languages, here in the Philippines, we USUALLY study only two languages: Filipino and English. Some schools, for example, Immaculate Conception Academy, also study Chinese, while Saint Pedro Poveda College (simply, Poveda) also study Spanish, but that's mainly because their founder is Spanish. :]

Some prestigious schools have these foreign language electives, like Ateneo, De La Salle, etc. Some have it in clubs.

Some of us speak Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic because of the invasions of these countries, and the languages were just handed down from generation to generation, or gotten from the environment.

Filipinos not only speak Filipino, but also their languages from where they live. For example, Tagalog, Bisaya, Pangasinense, Ilocano (not sure if it's spelled with 'c' or 'k'), etc.

'Tagalog' is NOT our lingua franca. Our official language is only mistaken to be Tagalog because of its background in our language's history, and because it's one of the most commonly-spoken languages in the Philippines.

Ha! I hope they not only put English in our curriculum, but also Spanish and Mandarin/Chinese, because these are widely-spoken languages, too.

Tthere are about 180 languages spoken in the Philippines. However, Tagalog, and English are the official languages. Other major and minor languages of the Philippines include Cebuano, Ilokano, Hiligaynon, Waray, Kapampangan, Bikol, Pangasinan, Tausug, Maguindanao, Maranao, Kinaray-a, Chavacano and Spanish.

I was born and raised in Mindanao and am of Filipino-Chinese descent, I was given what was considered a classical education in both English and Chinese, so growing up I spoke: Bisaya, Tagalog, English and Chinese fluently. And since my grandmother hails from a Manobo clan in Agusan del Sur, I also understand and speak a little of the Manobo dialect. I also studied French, Spanish and their mother tongue, Latin way back in college, but have not practiced for quite a while so I no longer speak these fluently, but I can still read and comprehend most basic sentences, my interest in classical European literature was the reason why I studied those languages.

• Noname

I knew around 10 languages

1. Filipino/tagalog

2. Ilocano

3. English

I learned the remaining from school:

4. C/C++

5. VB/VB.net

6. Java

7. Some server side scripts ASP and

8. PHP

9. SQL

10. A little bit of Flash AS2

In China:

I will speak Mandarin, Cantonese plus Body Language!

In the Philippines:

I will speak Tagalog, Ilokano plus Doggie Language!

Online:

I will speak English plus Internet slang!

Filipinos are born multilinguist.

I can speak:

1. Filipino

2. English

3. Tagalog

4. Spanish

5. Ilocano

6. Itawis

7. Arabic

An average Filipino can speak at least 5 languages.

According to wikipedia there are 170 languages in the Philippines (To some source it is more than 200).

Please check this----->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Phil...

• guRl

Just 2. Tagalog and English.

Yes I went to school to learn English language.

English subject is there all the time since Grade 1.

And Filipino (tagalog) too.

I self studied Esperanto and Spanish but I did not succeed learning it.

My mother, who was born and raised in the Philippines, speaks four languages. Illocano, Filipino, Tagalog, and English.

i didn't have to go to school just to learn it. but of course by going to school i can improved my english and add some words to my vocabulary.

i can speak

1. english ~>since birth

2. tagalog~> since birth too.

3. bisaya [a language in Leyte and Cebu]

4. ilocano ~>not so much, but yeah.

5. spanish~> not so much, but i can understand the basics like the numbers and some basic conversations.

Source(s): -me-

English, Tagalog and learned enough Arabic phrases to get by.

What I really want to learn is Hindi and Mandarin, being widely spoken by the two of the most populated countries in the world.... and of course Japanese.. hmmm. *wink*