What is wrong with my ex bf?

We parted ways five months ago. He told me he couldn't make me happy. I have looked at it like this: We have lived apart for two years and it got to me and broke us down. I felt sad, I couldn't see an end in sight, it was stressful and it just got worse. We stopped communicating properly,... show more We parted ways five months ago. He told me he couldn't make me happy. I have looked at it like this: We have lived apart for two years and it got to me and broke us down. I felt sad, I couldn't see an end in sight, it was stressful and it just got worse. We stopped communicating properly, misunderstandings happened on the phone and eventually it all fell apart. I have strong feelings for him thought still. I think he is an amazing man. However, we are not together and this is my perspective. We do still talk to each other once a week and see each other every three weeks at his request. I have cancelled on him a few times though because he began to pick at me and it hurt. I felt low enough and thought it was best we had time apart to heal. However he always gets back in touch first and doesn't seem to understand how he can be. Last time I saw him he had decided he needed a holiday and wanted to come to London. He asked me if I wanted to take a day off work and go to an exhibition. I said sure, i was feeling stronger and then he ended up staying at mine for four days. He turned up wearing my necklace that I had left at his. I knew I was going away to a festival so I suggested coming down the following weekend. He got really angry saying that I had caused a bad atmosphere and that he thinks I’m on a different page to him. He said it was an inappropriate thing to ask. He felt I was pretending everything was all right and that things were not better between us yet but it smacks of one rule for him and one rule for me. When he finally left he said doesn’t want a relationship at the moment. That wasn’t why I had suggested hanging out, it had been fun but I understand why he felt the way he did and later on I felt quite down about it. Anyway, whilst at the festival he text me again saying he was in London and he needed a friend, he wasn't sure if i was away, please let him know if i was in london. He knows I’ve been feeling low and so the next day when i hadn't replied because I turned my phone off so I couldn’t be contacted he said i hope your ok. This I think was because I hadn't replied. He then said later that he really wants to speak to me, he hopes i'm not ignoring him and to reassure me and help me. I have been saying I’m ok so I don’t think he is being honest in some way. He said he is sorry if this is all a big misunderstanding. I deserve better. He then left a voicemail saying he needs to tell me something. I don’t really know what to think. What is going on with him? Is he depressed? He couldn’t cope with the relationship but he can’t seem to cope with life without me either even though it would be healthier if you really think they are not the person for you to cut contact. I don’t know what to think. Anyone else?
5 answers 5