TB skin test question?

so I had a TB skin test this morning, and I was told the little bubble was going to disappear in within 20 mins or so.... it's evening now and it's still there along with some redness and the 'bubble' is now a small red raised lump. I'm going to get it read on thursday but I'm just wondering..... is this normal or is it positive?!!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

☆,

There are often flawed answers given in this forum, and you should be aware that this is the case. Em, above, has stated that your result is ‘not normal’. This is not necessarily the case, as I shall now explain. The test is known as the Purified Protein Derivative; PPD; Mantoux; Latent tuberculosis infection test, it’s formal name is tuberculin Skin Test. A healthcare worker will interpret your test results by looking at the injection site on your forearm at 48 or 72 hours (in most cases). A positive result will form a red and swollen circle at the site of the injection. The size (diameter) of the swollen raised circle determines whether exposure to TB has occurred. The size that is considered positive varies with the health status and age of the individual. Even when infected, children, the elderly, and patients who are severely immune compromised (such as those with AIDS) may have smaller, delayed, or even negative reactions to the TB skin test. Negative results – which appears to be the result that Em above, reports - may mean that you have not been exposed to TB, that your immune system has not responded to the test, or that it is too early to detect exposure. It takes about 6 weeks after infection before a person demonstrates a positive reaction to the PPD. If your doctor wants to confirm a negative result, he may repeat the TB skin test, or in some cases, perform another type of test .

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM - AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Hope this helps

matador 89

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I even have not heard of any area outcomes from reactions to the TB attempt different than gentle community reactions (swelling, redness) incredibly in case you have a great attempt. frequently it would not harm lots, that's a small needle and a small volume of liquid is injected intradermally (decrease than the floor) it makes a small bubble. This bubble is going down and the floor will turn a splash crimson, that's universal. you will desire to attend 40 8-seventy two hrs to have the attempt examine, you come back to the place you purchased it. Induration and swelling is a great consequence (which you have been uncovered to TB), a splash redness is high-quality as long simply by fact the floor isn't raised up like a welt or pimple, it quite is high-quality. while they examine your attempt, the nurse will run her finger over your pores and skin to be sure it quite is not raised in any respect. whether that's, they are going to degree it, a great consequence is the two >5mm or >10mm of induration counting on possibility factors and the wellness care provider, wellness midsection or sanatorium's protocols. whether, you will desire to attend the finished 40 8 hrs to examine the attempt, my arm gets a splash swelling on the start too whether it is going away after the 1st day and via the time the attempt is examine the consequence is unfavorable (no exposure to TB)

• 1 decade ago

It's too early to tell! Wait the 48-72 hours. Even if it is read as "abnormal", only a chest x-ray would rule in or out TB.

Chill

-Chad, RN

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

im sorry to tell you that is not normal. when i got mine about a month ago, the only thing you could see was the small puncture site where the needle went in...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.