What does "There's nothing more frightening than an unopened door" mean?

Alfred Hitchcock

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

This means that sometimes the danger that goes unseen (but is suggested) is more frightening and suspenseful than actually seeing the danger.

Hitchcock mastered this balance, and modern suspense and action films (which rely on blood and violence to frighten) should take a page out of his book.

• 1 decade ago

Alfred Hitchcock was pointing out that we all fear the unknown. That is why he is still to this day the master of SUSPENSE, because on a stormy night, when the powers out & we hear a thumping on the door, we know its probably a friend/rescue person/electric company repair crew, but as we walk to the door, we cant help think it could be a escaped prisoner/serial killer/ ??????,

Source(s): HUGE fan of Hitchcock
  • jb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It means that we imagine all sorts of scary things that could be on the other side of the unopened door. Our imagined fears are always more scary to us than the actual "thing" that is on the other side of the door. Each person imagines his/her own scariest scenario. A snake pit can be scary to one person, but not to another. A ghost can by scary to one person, but not to me. My scariest fear is different than yours. The unopened door has the ability to scare each and every one of us in our own ways.

• 1 decade ago

Fear of the Unknown. You don't know what is behind a closed door. There could be a killer behind it. That door could open up a Pandora's Box.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's the fear of the unknown. There's a door. It leads to somewhere, but you don't know until you open it. You can speculate, but have to turn the knob to find out.

Many people use this comparison for death. Why do we fear death? Because it is unknown.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This means that there is nothing more frightening than something new or unexplored territory

• 1 decade ago

It is a metaphor for the fact that the unknown is frightening.

• Jon
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

My opinion based on the quotation, is that its that terrible, sinking feeling you get after thinking about an opportunity you ignored and you wonder how things could have been.

• 1 decade ago

it means that you never know whats behind that door until you open it so the fear is there

• 1 decade ago

its scary not to knowing what's on the other side...thats what i think

Source(s): my opinion
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.