I'm looking to buy a Hunting Rifle, $300-$400.?

I'm looking to buy a hunting rifle. I wanted to spend around 300 or 400 dollars. This will be my first rifle. I know quite a lot about gun history and different calibers, and makes. Looking for maybe a .270 or .30-06, or 300 Winchester Magnum. What would be a good place to start i.e. Big 5, gun shops. What would be a good brand to go with for 300-400? Looking for a used rifle. Would prefer to have a scope. Is 300 to 400 a reasonable price or am I dreaming to assume I could get a quality used rifle for such a low price? Definitely want to go with Bolt-Action. Will be enrolling in fire arms safety course, how do I find one and how expensive are they to sign up for?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Purchase a Good Used Remington or Savage Brand bolt-action rifle in 30-06 caliber.* Magnum calibers are not needed or necessary to harvest Big Game in North America.* As a matter of fact the 30-06 probably never will be excelled as an all around rifle for American, and some African Big Game Animals.* Because the 30-06 is readily available in factory ammo the World over, and is chambered in more Hunting Guns than any other cartridge, it continues to be the most widely used Big-Game Hunting cartridge.* More than a 100 years after its introduction, not a single one does it all as well as the old 30-06.Springfield.* Use the 150, 180, or 220 grain bullets.* Winchester, Federal, or Remington Brand ammo.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*.....................Fly like an Eagle.*~~
  • Reno
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well if you are just starting out, I would say you should look into a 30-06. It is a great all around caliber that's just good enough for just about everything. I am partial to it, but would be lying if I did not say that a .270 is not a sweet rifle as well. The ought 6 is a bit more versatile for larger game like Moose, and Elk, however a .270 in 130 grains is a rocket for antelope and sheep. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but are capable.

Being that you are new, if you don't intend to hunt Black Bear, a .308 will work well too, and costs a lot less to shoot at the range.

Now if you are looking for a rifle and a scope, for 400, you will probably not be able to buy a new gun; at least not a mainstream one. However, most used rifles like a Remington 700, or Winchester 70 are almost always found with low miles. People don't really shoot hunting rifles much. Usually they zero the gun with a few boxes, then shoot a couple shots a year. It is not uncommon to find a nice 20 year old rifle with less than 200 through it. I would look into a Remington 700. There are lots of good brands out there, but a 700 is the most common, and can be repaired cheaply.

I have never owned a Savage, and don't like them, but know hunters who swear by them as a "best bang for the buck" type of gun.

I will saw that I own several H&R rifles. These are single shot rifles that shoot great. You could get a nice 30-06 for about 275 dollars new. For 100 dollars more you could get a different caliber barrel for it, and have one gun 2 calibers for under 400. This solves the whole "which caliber do I get" thing.

What ever you do, try to spend a bit more on the glass. It is more important to buy a cheap rifle with a good scope than the other way around.

Any gun store can get you an H&R. They are also known as NEF guns.

Good Luck.

• Chris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You should be able to find a used rifle in great mechanical and good cosmetic shape for under $400 pretty easily. Expect most of your selection to be Remington, Ruger Savage, Winchester & Weatherby (mostly the Vanguard model). You might find a good condition CZ, Browning or sporterized military Mauser, 1917 Enfield, or Springfield 1903 for that kind of price as well. Scopes on a rifle with a price tag like this are going to be inexpensive models. Most that had a good scope like Leupold, Redfield and such have had it taken off to put on a different rifle or be sold separately. But if for example you find a used Remington 700BDL in good shape with a Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II scope on it for a tag of $550 it has a very fair price & would be worth every penny.

Of course you can find a lot of NEW Savage & Howa models as well as Marlins XL7/XS7, Stevens Model 200(a Savage 10/110 with a cheaper stock and old design trigger) Mossberg 100ATR. Many of these are offered as a factory package with a scope.

As far as chambering goes you can't really go wrong with any of these: .270 Win., 7mm-08 Rem., .280 Rem., .308 Win. or .30-06 Spfd. But I'd also suggest the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser, 7mm Mauser, .284 Win., .303 British, 7.9/8mm Mauser(American 8mm factory loads are very mild) especially if you are going to reload. All of these are capable of cleanly taking game up to elk & black bear with appropriate bullet/load.

You could also consider the 6.5mm Rem Mag, .270 Win. Short Mag. and even the .257 Weatherby Mag., .264 Win. Mag., .270 Wby Mag. & 7mm Rem. Mag. but really don't need anything with magnum in the name for deer/pronghorn. In fact for these any of the normal cartridges from the .250 Savage on up work just as well now as they did in the 20th century.

• 1 decade ago

James-

Probably one of the best and most inexpensive rifles you could obtain would be a Mauser.

I picked up 3 of them over the years.

One I have had customized into a very accurate rifle and re-chambered for .308 Winchester, (7.62 NATO). I don't suggest this route, but I do recommend the following route.

You can pick up an 8mm Mauser from a multitude of dealers though I suggest going through JG Sales or Mitchell's Mausers. You should be able to pick up a "Hand Picked" model for about $300.00.

Then slide out Ye Ole Midway Catalog and pick up a B-Square Scout Scope Mount and B-Square Scout Scope, or any other long eye relief "Scout Type" scope.

Head over to Ye Ole Gunsmith and have the mount and scope installed and bore sighted. Then head over to the range and spend a little time zeroing the scope and you should be good to go.

This method replaced the rear sight on your rifle with a scope mounted in that location. I have one of my Mausers done exactly this way and it has dispatched many deer and wild boar with excellent one shot results at 200 Yards.

The 8mm Mauser Hunting Ammunition is readily available, and when you don't feel like shooting the expensive stuff, you can head to your favorite range with the Military Surplus crap, and have a nice day shooting a scoped rifle at paper or tin cans.

I also have a Mosin Nagant. I like them, but not for a hunting rifle. The 7.62x54R Cartridges are really hot, and they give you quite a kick in the recoil department. The 8mm Mauser is a little more tame, and it is an excellent hunting cartridge. I normally used the Winchester Power Points in my 8mm.

Plus there is another factor. It's 8mm! Its a slug nearly the size of a 9mm Pistol, and it packs quite a whollop.

It's drawback is the fact that it, like the .308 has quite a trajectory arc. So that is something to consider when taking a shot over 250 Yards with this cartridge.

Lastly, the Mauser action is one of the safest actions ever designed. In fact its so good that Sprinfield developed a hybrid for their rifles, Ruger's action is still based on it, and there are a few others that use it including Mauser to this very day. There are so many custom parts for Mausers that should you ever want to change the barrel, re-chamber and build your own rifle, its not difficult.

I hope that helps you out! Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

Source(s): Former Gunsmith Shop Machinist
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

James the best thing for you to do in my opinion would go to a real gun store (not dick's) and look for a used Remington 700 or Winchester 70, it's almost certain you will get one for less then $400.

Or if you know what to look for go to a gun show and try and find one, that's what I did for my first deer rifle and got a sweet deal on a Remington 721 in 30-06 for $200

• rick
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

$400.00 is a reasonable amount for a good use rifle with a cheap scope( but will work fine, get a better scope down the road. I would go with a Remington, Winchester 70, Savage, Rugar or Browning. I would go with a 30 06. Cheaper and easier to fid ammo and more choice on ammo bullet weight.

• 1 decade ago

There are a plethora of nice used rifles out there. Go to Dunn's or any gun shop or even a pawn shop and look around. 30 06 is a good 1st time all around cartridge. Lots of different ammo for it and most of the time any small town will have o6 shells in stock at a gas station..very easy to find. As far as the make and model find one that fits your hand and are comfortable with. I prefer bolts but that's just me.

Good luck

• 1 decade ago

Buy

Remington 700

Ruger 77

Winchester 70

Savage with new accue trigger

Not to buy

Remington 770

Mossburg (any rifle)

Marlin ( bolt action)

• 1 decade ago

the savage model 11 in 30-06 is really nice for around 400-500

Source(s): owning one.
  • 1 decade ago

hunt & live in south texas, 270 less kick, which may help with your accuracy. 30-06 very good well proven round. both will kill a deer. I would not buy used unless you KNOW ITS STORY; the marlin xl7 is a very good rifle in my experience that compares to alot more expensive win. , rem. rifles. put a bushnell scope on it ( use good mounts) and you will have a 400$ very accurate rifle..i bought one in 30-06 jushttp://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_a... to see.. read the reviews

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.