Anything about New York City?

Hey,guys! I've been wondering.. I don't know much about New York... So this would be the perfect place to learn something useful!! Tell me about it! Is NYC an island or a city? ,,Manhattan's an island.. wasn't it a neighborhood? And how come does the neighborhood (Manhattan) has neighborhoods?... show more Hey,guys! I've been wondering.. I don't know much about New York... So this would be the perfect place to learn something useful!!
Tell me about it! Is NYC an island or a city? ,,Manhattan's an island.. wasn't it a neighborhood? And how come does the neighborhood (Manhattan) has neighborhoods? O_o Okay.. the questions might seem to you a little bit stupid.. but eh.. I'm not an American.
Please tell me everything you know about New York and New York City. It's a shame it's my favourite place in the whole world and I don't know anything about it. Well... almost. It's the basics I don't know :D.
You can tell me about the city since the beginning. or u can also give me any info about the state and the city as long as it's true. And you might as well even point me out some links.. as long as they're not from Wikipedia.

-- Most detailed and interesting answer gets 10 points!!

I appreciate even reading my question. I'd be glad if you even made some effort answering it! Thanks in advance! (: