Anything about New York City?

Hey,guys! I've been wondering.. I don't know much about New York... So this would be the perfect place to learn something useful!!

Tell me about it! Is NYC an island or a city? ,,Manhattan's an island.. wasn't it a neighborhood? And how come does the neighborhood (Manhattan) has neighborhoods? O_o Okay.. the questions might seem to you a little bit stupid.. but eh.. I'm not an American.

Please tell me everything you know about New York and New York City. It's a shame it's my favourite place in the whole world and I don't know anything about it. Well... almost. It's the basics I don't know :D.

You can tell me about the city since the beginning. or u can also give me any info about the state and the city as long as it's true. And you might as well even point me out some links.. as long as they're not from Wikipedia.

-- Most detailed and interesting answer gets 10 points!!

I appreciate even reading my question. I'd be glad if you even made some effort answering it! Thanks in advance! (:

Favorite Answer

Well, Manhattan is an island. It was never a neighborhood.

Manhattan is one of the five boroughs of New York City.

The other four and better boroughs of NYC are Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island.

Brooklyn has the highest population of all the boroughs.

Queens is the largest in land size, 50% of it's population was born outside the U.S, and there are over 200 languages spoken in Queens.

The Bronx is the only borough on the U.S. Mainland.

Staten Island is the smallest borough in terms of land size and population.

Manhattan is considered the center of NYC, but is expensive and is full of snobs.

It is the home of the Yankees and Mets (baseball teams, the Knicks (basketball team), and the Rangers (hockey team)

We have the largest subway system! The subway system runs 24/7, has 468 stations, and these are the subway lines here:

IRT: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and the Grand Central Shuttle.

IND: A,B,C,D,E,F,G,V and the Far Rockaway Shuttle.

BMT: J,L,M,N,Q,R,W,Z and the Franklin Avenue Shuttle.

All the boroughs were once separate cites and counties. But, they all consolidated to form NYC in 1898. Before that, Brooklyn was the 3rd largest city in the United States (and even bigger than Manhattan!)

The Capital of New York State is Albany.

Some thing that were invented here in NYC are Hot Dogs, the esclator, the baseball hat, toilet tissue, etc.

Brooklyn has its own destinct accent ( I have that accent) and words sound like this:

Bird = boid

Coffee = Cauhwfee

Four = Fauwh

F*ck = fauhwk

Work = woik

Water = Wauhtah

If you have any other questions about NYC, feel free to message me here and I can give you an honest answer off the top of my head.

Source(s): I am a real and Native New Yorker.

Yes, Manhattan is an island. And a very expensive one to live on at that. New York City is comprised of five boroughs: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan,Staten Island and Queens. Each borough is split into different neighborhoods the way, London is split into centrel London and Soho and Paris has the La Defense. Each neighborhood is populated acording to it's history and where it is. Mot Haven in the Bronx is mostly Peurto Rican and Astoria is a Greek part of Queens. I'm not to knowledgable on the history, just that it was settled European settlers and has held the nations number on population since the late 1700s. If you'd like to know what it is like living in the city let me know and i'd be more than happy to let you know.

Source(s): A resident of NYC

Stepping out for the first time in New York and man was I energized !

First stop, Times Square for the best Burger ever, NY style, the street people are everywhere with their hands out for money, I pass them a cigarette or a stick of gum it gets them to smile at least ! I walk on to Central Park around the Lake and check out the Zoo. Next stop and I’m gazing from the Top of the Empire State Building onto Greenwich Village, SoHo, Chinatown. Brooklyn Heights Promenade for magnificent views of Manhattan’s skyline, glittering lights of the city that never sleeps.

• mac

The NYC Metro region has 20 million citizens and its growing because the economy in the NE is not as bad as other areas of the country.

• xoxo.

its the most BEAUTIFULEST place in the entire WORLD.

the cake there is good

DON'T COME HERE