Why is the modern day housewife WITHOUT kids de-valued?

Best Answer

Because being a housewife is seen as a sacrifice - you're giving up your career and parts of your life so that you can raise your children.

If you're a housewife with no kids, what do you do? Spend every day lazing around and doing whatever it is you want to you. It's selfish. Not to mention you're feeding off someone else's income to fund your self centered lifestyle.

It may be devalued to some because they have never personally tried doing what a housewife actually does. Some just think that there are only TWO things a housewife does which are cooking and cleaning... they don't think about the other things they may do like volunteer or have hobbies they enjoy. Do you people think that cleaning only takes a few minutes? If you do the job well it takes much longer than that especially if you're devoted. The people who look down on them are close minded and go with what society and the radical feminists have put into their heads. Also, the definition of "housewife" does not state that there MUST be children involved to be one... the term is "housewife" not "housemother" although there are plenty of women who call themselves housewives who have children and that's perfectly fine. The stereotype that all housewives are lazy and eat bon bons while sitting on the couch all day is still in effect it seems. People only assume that is all they do because that is all they've heard. It's quite pathetic that people are that close minded. I know more housewives who do more work in a day than someone who sits at a desk taking calls all day for example. Until you people DO the work that a housewife should do then don't open your mouths and make it seem like you know all about it because clearly you don't. Another reason may be because all these close minded people are thinking about is money so therefore they think the woman is just leeching off her husband and don't even consider that they might actually be HAPPY with the woman being at home while the husband brings home the bacon.

Can anyone afford to be one of those these days now that both partners almost certainly need an income for a mortgage?

I suspect some would say she is sponging. I wouldn't say I de-value her though if both people are happy with the arrangement but her house had better be absolutely spotless !!! In other words if they've got the loot for the arrangement good luck to them.

PS. C'mon Bristol City (if your screen name refers to soccer !)

I hate to sound like a cliche, but we have the radical feminists of the 60s to thank for that. Women used to consider it a privilege to be able to be homemakers until the rad fems started telling everyone how miserable they were and how unfulfilling it is, and how mindless it is to run a house. Thanks to their influence, nowadays even when a woman *does* have kids, there are people who think she's stupid and a parasite and is wasting her time.

I was a homemaker before we had kids. I found lots to do. There are many things you can fill your day with - like volunteering, for example.

Well, without kids, what would be the purpose of a house wife? I'm not being sexist, but without kids, there are far less chores to do at the house and no real need for the woman to stay at home during the day. No ankle biters to get ready or make eat breakfast or lunch. 75% less laundry to do (at least). No need to shovel a path though the toys to walk in the living room.

Reverse the situation. Without kids, what would it be thought of if the man stayed at home and the woman went to work?

I don't see how thats a problem. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and no football season shouldn't be banned....We give you every saturday. We're at least allowed a season.....Fairs fairs :-)

Does there even NEED to be any other jobs to do at home?? Most of us just want a loving wife, not an employee.....Jesus!!

I

I

I

I

v

• Idk

Because the purpose of being a housewife is to take care of the kids.

Modern?

It's always been the case that society in general looks down on women who don't have kids.

I agree with the 1st answerer

No one can de-value you without your permission.