promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
I'm a man asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Is Black Hawk Down a historically accurate movie?

I know one thing that wasn't historically accurate was when the injured pilot of the fallen Black Hawk took out his machine gun and took out like 30 Somalis before they got to him and killed him. In reality they would have either taken an RPG and blew the rest of the Blackhawk up, thrown a grenade in the vicinity of the extremely wounded pilot, or just taken him out with machine guns from a distance.

I mean c'mon your paralyzed and taking out like 30 Somalis before they get to you? is this reallly historically accurate?

other than this the film could be pretty accurate but that scene made the pilot out to be jesus with an UZI or whatever he used.

Update:

matthew - well if it is true it just seems unlikely...why wouldn't the Somalis toss a grenade in there or his it with an RPG if 30 of their guys are getting mowed down?

Update 2:

matthew - Chris has the right scene I'm talking about...not the duo scene

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Chris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

black hawk down is very historically accurate. the scene where the pilot (CWO Micheal Durant, who wasn't killed, he survived, and wasn't paralyzed) of super64 gunned down multiple somali's with the mp5 is probably exaggerated, but the two delta snipers SFC Randy Stughart and MS Gary Gordon did go in to protect him and both died doing so, (posthumously receiving the medal of honour), for their efforts he was captured alive and released 11 days later from mogadishu. i cant tell you why they didn't use grenades or RPG-7's but maybe due to the fact that alot of them weren't all armed militia, but civilians, but he did get out alive and the helicopter remained intact until delta kilo11 reached the crash site and secured it. the film was modeled around the accounts of soldiers who survived, and even detailed aspects were accurate, the somali who walked across the convoy at the 'mogadishu mile' at the end of the film holding the dead child actually happened. its not 100% accurate, but more so than most films that say 'based on a true story'.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I read the book right before the movie came out. It is mostly accurate, but there was some things missing. There was an overnight supply run and another helicopter damaged that wasn't mentioned at all. There were a lot more little bird fire support missions. A lot of the humvees had Mark 19s in the book but none of them did in the movie. One of the characters names were changed in the movie because the person was in prison for rape. The story telling and overall plot was pretty solid and accurate. Definitely just picking through minutia for criticism for the most part.

• 1 decade ago

I think you are referring to the pilot who was downed and then assisted by the two delta snipers? and yes, according to the pilot who was interviewed in another book by the same author who wrote black hawk down, that is accurate. you say "they would" like you have some foreknowledge or experience in this type of situation. I don't think any one can predict what "they would" have done. as far as accuracy, every second hand account i have read or heard through interviews seems to be right on with what the movie shows. should we have been there, who's to say, but that's a pretty incredible story either way, huh?

Source(s): Army Vet
  • 6 years ago

The U.S were truly cowards, they withdrew their entire military out of Mogadishu and Somalia :D They could have fought like real soldiers with their advanced technology backing them. hahahahahahahaha lol

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

its a movie that is BASED on a true story, the truth alone isnt that entertaining so they add some hollywood type scenes and dramatics.

• 1 decade ago

plus i don't think Spud was in Somalia at that time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.