child support/ssi question?

i lve in florida andi have 2 kids by a man who gets ssi-disablity, as of right now he is in prison my question is can the judge make him child support or daycare costs,or anything else.


we are not married,he will be released next month and we already est. paternity

,and i already filed for child support.

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Not while in Jail according to Judge David Grey Ross, Commissioner of the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, but if he's on SSDI, you're already getting a children's benefit check. You knew this 8 months ago.;_ylt=AuUYT...

    He won't be ordered to pay more than what you're already getting, so what's your complaint?

    129.2 Can your Social Security benefits be levied or garnished?

    If you have any unpaid Federal taxes, the Internal Revenue Service can levy your Social Security benefits. Your benefits can also be garnished in order to collect unpaid child support and or alimony.

    SSI payments cannot be levied or garnished.

    Treasury's Financial Management Service can also offset, or reduce, your Social Security benefits to collect delinquent debts owed to other Federal agencies, such as student loans owed to the Department of Education.


    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    your question needs some clarification. why isnt that the children are not getting their own amount? are you married to this man? are you divorced with child support defined by a court in florida? is paternity legally defined?

    if you are going against any "income" he might have as a prisoner if he is in any work program, good luck with that. the pay is absolutely minimal.

    talk about kicking a man when he is down.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • He can't from prison, he has no income. He is accruing back support that he will owe when he gets out, but as the saying goes "You can't get blood from a stone"

    In prison, he is basically a stone, there is no $ to take. He doesn't get his SSI while there. You could try contacting social services to see if you qualify for government help while he is incarcerated.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    No he cant, the man is not making any income as a prisoner, therefore there is nothing he can pay you.

    Source(s): I had the same problem growing up.
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.