Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Do you clap when your plane lands ?

Update:

I was on a flight from tenerife to Manchester, ad both there and back people clapped on landing, we had minor turbulence.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As a pilot, I can tell you that like anyone else, I (we) appreciate when people let us know they enjoyed their flight, or even clap at our landings.

We cannot always avoid turbulence, but I can tell you that we take each and ever landing seriously, despite how routine they may seem. (and to the fella who confused ILS with autoland, even those aircraft equipped with autoland systems, we use it less than 1% of the time)

You tip waiters and hairdressers, you say thank you to soldiers even if they have not have ever seen combat, and thinking back you have probably clapped your hands for some really silly things.... There is nothing wrong with clapping, or expressing your thanks for a job well done to the flight crew.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

In Tenerife you can do any such thing you are feeling like any day of the year as a result of their climate, normal environments and tourist infrastructure designed for fun for all the family which means this place is an ideal area for a great vacation and with hotelbye you are certain to get it. In Tenerife are a lot of points waiting for you really to discover and some of those is in the south west shore of Tenerife. A place that is a magnificent position for watching whales free in the ocean. Around 26 species are located only down the shore, including baleen whales, killer whales, dolphins, pilot whales and even blue whales. In Tenerife you will even see The Teide National Park. At 3,718 metres, Teide volcano is Spain's best maximum and their two ecosystems make the climb an event high in contrasts.

• J.DOT
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Not really but there was one time when I was about to land in Manila with my dad, there was heavy turbulence along South China Sea and when we landed, all of the passengers were clapping maybe because they arrived safe.

The poosibility also can be that they clap for thanking the whole crew of the airline for the service and safety

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it is polite to clap and I'll do it if everyone else does too!

But to be honest, the majority of aircraft have 'ILS Landing' systems now, so the autopilot can do all the work while the pilot simply monitors the screens etc...So clapping the pilot may not be what it's cut out to be!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I'm italian so i always clap hands because almost every italian does it..and so time ago I thought it was normal.. Then i found out only some people do it :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I love when people clap on airplanes, and it's kind of funny when some of them whistle, lol. I've done it a couple times, but I've noticed people do this mostly when traveling to other countries since the flight takes longer I guess. I see it as a way of celebrating the fact you got to your destination safely :D

• diesel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I've never seen anybody clap on any flight I have been on, either domestic or international. Seems a little strange to me that anybody would do that. That would make as much sense as clapping after a bus ride or taxi ride.

• 6 years ago

Screw pilots, I clap for the autopilot

• 1 decade ago

Yea on international flights you always here clapping, it always happens on my international flights, on domestic you rarely hear clapping if any at all.

• 1 decade ago

Clap just because the Pilot and crew did the job they're paid for without cocking it up? I'll applaud somebody who performs an extraordinary feat, but not somebody who has (with all due respect to their training and experience) only achieved what their Job Description calls for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.