Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 1 decade ago

Do you keep your soft baits "worms" in the package?

Do I need to keep my worms in the packages they come in? My tackle box is the plastic removable cases that snap unlock. They are sealed pretty tight.

Favorite Answer

You want to keep your soft plastic worms inside the package. A lot of plastic cases are not "worm proof". Unless your tackle box is "worm proof", soft plastic lures will react with your plastic tackle box when in direct contact. Soft plastic lures can discolor and even melt/corrode your hard plastic tackle box (and plastic bobbers and plastic crankbaits...). Soft plastic lures could discolor plastic bags but at least they won't melt plastic bags.

Also, not all soft plastic lures were made out of the same material. For example, some newer, biodegradable soft lures like Berkley Gulp series lures will dry out pretty fast if not kept inside sealable packages; some models will dry out in days and some models will dry out in hours! Traditional soft plastic lures don't have this kind of problem but the worm oil and/or fish attractant that's on the lure can and will dry out eventually. So, keeping soft plastic lures inside their original package or sealable plastic bags is highly recommended.

PS: I have found some of my old soft plastic lures from early 80's not very long ago. They wre still in new or excellent condition and very usable. Other than the discolored bags, lures that were kept inside original packages remained unchanged. Lures that were kept inside plastic sandwich bags (not the sealable type) were in excellent condition. If you didn't know those lure used to have worm oil on them, you won't be able to tell any difference.

You should keep them in the package that they come in. The goo the worms come in will have a reaction if they come in contact with the metal of hooks and lead and will cause the worms to melt. Plus the package keeps the worms better colored and prevents them from drying out.

I prefer to keep my worms in the package, but sometimes, my worm tackle box gets filled with too many new packages, so I open them up and pour them out in one of the little holders. They lose their scent and softness over time if you take them out of the package.

Do It Soft Baits

I've usually left them in the package, though sometimes transferred them to a small bucket or something similar. You don't need a case that seals tightly...

i like to leave my worms in the baggie they came in because it looses that slimy feeling when ever i have it out for more than a couple of days.

keeping them in the package helps to keep them from drying out,and retains their color longer

keeping them in the box helps them to stay good longer and not dry out. but if you are done using them for the day immediatly throw them in the garbage or put them in your freezer.

relies upon on if i'm in mattress on my own or with a woman, regardless of if that's on my own then that's often at my factors or on my chest. yet now if i woman is in touch then god purely knows the place they might finally end up.