promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
viviana asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

why did jose de la cruz sell the state of texas to america?

im startin high school as a freshman on wesday and im doing a summer project.. i need help to figure out who can tell me why did jose de la cruz sell the state of texas to america. so i can state my year with a 100 :) please help me figue this out?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All I know is that that Texas declared its independence from Mexico and was a Republic for a while until it was annexed by USA

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Naz F
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Jose de la Cruz had little to do with the transfer of Texas to America (in 1846, when he was only 16 years old), as he wasn't President of Mexico till 1877. The closest thing to a 'sale' of Texas was the Compromise of 1850, under which Governor Bell gave up land to other states, in exchange for Washington assuming some of the state's debts.

How did Texas become part of the US? They rebelled against Mexico, to become independent, in the 1830s. The newly-formed Republic of Texas then negotiated with the US government to become a state, which was fully done by 1846.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O46-DazJosdelaCru...

• 1 decade ago

The Texans (or Texians, as they called themselves then) obtained their independence on the battlefield, specifically at the battle of San Jacinto, just outside of where Houston is today, in 1836. During the battle they even captured the Mexican dictator, the Generalissimo Santa Ana, who was forced to sign a treaty recognizing Texas as an independent republic.

Texas joined the US in 1845.

• Kaiser
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

HE NEEDED MONEY FOR MOTA & TORTILLAS ??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.