Why do people lie about stupid things?

My friend told me a while back that her daughter (they live far away and we keep in touch by email) has larger feet for her age like mine does. I told her my daughter is 3 and already in size 10-11s and she said she knows totally what it's like and that hers is tall also and with large feet. This was months... show more My friend told me a while back that her daughter (they live far away and we keep in touch by email) has larger feet for her age like mine does. I told her my daughter is 3 and already in size 10-11s and she said she knows totally what it's like and that hers is tall also and with large feet.

This was months and months ago but I remember stupid things like that and she just posted on Facebook that her daughter is only in a size 5 shoe and is in toddler sizes. Why do people lie about such stupid things?