TenYrsOld asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Why do people lie about stupid things?

My friend told me a while back that her daughter (they live far away and we keep in touch by email) has larger feet for her age like mine does. I told her my daughter is 3 and already in size 10-11s and she said she knows totally what it's like and that hers is tall also and with large feet.

This was months and months ago but I remember stupid things like that and she just posted on Facebook that her daughter is only in a size 5 shoe and is in toddler sizes. Why do people lie about such stupid things?

Best Answer

Obviously she wanted to have something in common with you to impress you or hold your attention. It's stupid, you're right about that, and it doesn't make it "okay", but she was probably jsut trying to "bond" with you. Or she's just a pathological liar who spins stories into everything.

There are people who just lie for the sake of it. I had a friend who used to lie about stupid things all the time. I remember one time she said "I bought a new blouse this weekend" and went on to describe the blouse in detail. Later, at her house when I ask to see it, she said I was mistaken "you must have misunderstood, I didn't buy anything this weekend." Huh?? The best thing to do is to call them on it - that's what I did. If she's posted it on Facebook, why not post a comment saying "Hey, you said she was a 10 like my little one?? Did her feet shrink? lol!!"

Maybe she wanted to have something in common with you to prolong the conversation of it. I know back in my days I lied about something so stupid to make myself look cool, but I ended up telling him the truth once I thought how stupid and unnecesary it was. Do me a favor and don't let it bother you so much because you know the truth now.

Because they are shallow and think small feet are cute. She may think it sounds strange to people, and they will imagine these huge gigantasaurus feet, but if they saw them they wouldn't look so bad.

low self esteem

Maybe because they want to look special or they don't want to look vulnerable in any way.

Body dysmorphic disorder by proxy? LOL Idk