Adrienne Vera asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

What does the word "Sox" mean...?

... and how the Red Sox & White Sox baseball teams came to be named so?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Fungo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Red Sox are one of two teams in the American League with Sox in their name, the Chicago White Sox being the other.

The name Red Sox, chosen by owner John I. Taylor after the 1907 season, refers to the red hose in the team uniform beginning 1908.

Actually, Sox was adopted by newspapers needing a headline-friendly form of Stockings, as "Stockings Win!" in large type would not fit on a page.

In 1901, the American League declared itself equal to the National League and established a competing club in Boston. For seven seasons, the AL team wore dark blue stockings and had no official nickname. They were simply "Boston" or "the Bostons"; or the "Americans" or "Boston Americans" as in "American Leaguers", Boston being a two-team city. Their 1901-1907 jerseys, both home and road, simply read "Boston", except for 1902 when they sported large letters "B" and "A" denoting "Boston" and "American". On December 18, 1907, Taylor announced that the club had officially adopted red as its new team color.

One of the American League's eight charter franchises, the Chicago team was established as a major league baseball club in 1901. The club was originally called the Chicago White Stockings, after the nickname abandoned by the Cubs, and the name was soon shortened to Chicago White Sox.

Hope this helps with an understanding of the Red Sox and White Sox names.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • 1 decade ago

The White Sox were the first team to be called "The Sox." Back in 1904 (when the Boston team was either called The Americans or The Pilgrims) where called the Chicago White Sox (Shortened from Chicago White Stockings). Chicago News Papers shortened the name to White Sox (in 1901) and the name stuck, so it was officially changed.

"After acquiring a number of stars from the older league, including pitcher and manager Clark Griffith, the White Stockings also captured the AL's first major-league pennant the next year, in 1901. Headline editors at the Chicago Tribune sports department immediately began shortening the name to "White Sox," and the team officially adopted the shorter name in 1904. The name change to the White Sox was brought on after scorekeeper Christoph Hynes wrote White Sox at the top of a scorecard rather than White Stockings, this scorecard was then seen by the press. The White Sox would continue to be built on pitching and defense in the following years, led by pitching workhorse Ed Walsh, who routinely pitched over 400 innings each season in his prime."

• 4 years ago

Sox Meaning

• 1 decade ago

Sox is a variation of Socks. In the early days of baseball teams were known by the color of their sox. Boston players for sox that were red. Chicago players wore socks that were white. Detroit players wore striped sox.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Different translations of the bible would suggest love and charity are synonmus. Examples found in.1st Corrinthians ch. 13 vs. 1-17 illustrate this many times. I would enjoy hearing from a scholar of the languages used in those past times to clarify my understanding. The story of the "World's Poorest Philanthropist", Gilbert "Harold" Ewing II (myself) is the reason for this querry. The " act of grace", or charity, reffered to in the news interview, has posited this question and I lack the sort of education to provide any insights of true value.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well after the 1907 season John I Taylor had named them the red stockings because of the socks the team wore but they later changed the name to the red sox......thats how i learned it.

• 1 decade ago

likes Socks. The red sox used to wear red socks, the white sox used to wear white socks.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Socks, they put the "x" in Sox so they wouldnt have to deal with some legal issues

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I bought from this site before

• 1 decade ago

It means "socks" but, by virtue of using a variant spelling not in common usage, it is trademarkable.

Remember Coors' "Artic Ice" brand? (Don't worry if you do not, it was nothing special.) Coors heard PLENTY of complaints that the beer name was misspelled -- but it wasn't! "Artic" allowed for the brand to be trademarked, as "arctic ice" was a term easily found in many previous instances.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.