Ashlee
Ashlee asked in SportsHorse Racing · 1 decade ago

Why don't we ever hear about any female trainers?

Heres my list (I was able to get bloodhorse working again) of male trainers

West Coast

Bob Baffert - An undisputed winner, very likeable

Craig Dollase - Solid trainer, heck of a guy

Eoin Harty - As underrated as they come

Jerry Hollendorfer - Ultimate professional, an all-time winner

Richard Mandella - Hall of Famer, all he does is win big races

East Coast

Tom Albertrani - Always makes the most of what he's got

Gary Contessa - Proven winner

Kiaran McLaughlin - Super guy, terrific horseman

Graham Motion - Very well respected in the industry

Jonathan Sheppard - If my horse had a turf pedigree, he'd be the one

Michael Trombetta - Doesn't get as much press as some of the others, but is among the best

Kentucky

David Carroll - There is nothing he does I don't like

Larry Jones - He'll be back, don't worry

Michael Maker - One of the better young trainers out there

Southeast/Southwest

Bret Calhoun - The best leading trainer nobody knows about

Eddie Plesa Jr. - One of the best in Florida

It would be nice to see a female trainer every now and then. I'm sure there are some but not as many as male trainers

Best Answer

Horse of the Year Azeri was trained by Laura de Seroux. Back before that, we had Jenine Sahadi, who trained Lit de Justice and Elmhurst to win two renewals of the Breeder's Cup Sprint. Carla Gaines, who trained Nashoba's Key, has had some good winners.

Overseas, in Australia we have Gai Waterhouse, who is a lock for Hall of Fame status: http://www.gaiwaterhouse.com.au/index.asp

There is also Christiane "Criquette" Head, from the legendary Head family of horsemen, who has trained horses like Arc de Triomphe winner Three Troikas, champion filly Sigy, and French Derby winner Bering, among others; http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=15502

I agree it would be nice to have more women in the top stats, but that's a tough way to live: to be a national leader, you almost have to operate a stable with multiple divisions and that gets to be a real grind. I don't blame anyone who opts not to go that route and decides instead to operate a smaller stable on just one circuit.

Joni Mitchell Carol King Aretha Franklin Karen wood worker Dianna Ross Dionne Warwick Pat Benatar Chrissie Hynde Tina Turner Anne Wilson (EARLY coronary heart) Annie Lennox Sade Janis Joplin Stevie Nicks Patti LaBelle Dusty Springfield

We hear about a couple. Mary Hartmann trains Presious Passion who won the United Nations at Monmouth for the second year in a row. Also, Helen Pitts trained Curlin in his first start and still trains the remarkable old gelding Einstein.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot of women training major horses.

Linda Rice , as of right now is the leading trainer (wins) at the most prestigious racing meet in the country , that being saratoga of course.

mmmm That's a great question! I work in the barn at Canterbury Park and there's a few woman trainers. I think it might be that clique "Good Old boys club" I could be very wrong and i probably wrong . I work tonight and could find out!

linda rice