Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Making Payment before Credit Card Due Date?

I already made the credit card payment for August, but I want to start paying my bills for September. If I make a credit card payment on my bill before they have even set up the due date for Septemeber will they make me pay again in Septemeber once the due date is set or will they see that I made an extra payment of more than the minimum again and deduct that for Septemeber?

Favorite Answer

If you made a second payment, that will be applied to your balance in August and your September statement will simply show your minimum payment due will be $0 as they will apply that second payment to your Sept statement.

Simply put, you will not have to pay in Sept.

But, it is better to still make a payment just to get your balance lower, you do not want to carry more then 30% of your line of credit. Go above the 30% debt utilization and your score starts downwards.

I have made double payments many times and when the next month statement arrives it has always shown a payment due of $0 for the month.

Source(s): 40yrs of experience.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I already made the credit card payment for August, but I want to start paying my bills for September. If I make a credit card payment on my bill before they have even set up the due date for Septemeber will they make me pay again in Septemeber once the due date is set or will they see that I made...

Source(s): making payment credit card due date: https://biturl.im/FjRFI

Lets say I have a credit card and my limit is 300.00 and my 40% of that 300.00 is 120.00 but I use 225.00 so that leaves me with 75.00 left on the card, and my due date to pay on my credit card is the 15th of each month and my statement says that my min is 25.00 and my billing cycle starts on the 17th of each month and my credit card people reports the credit bureau on the 20th of each month. if I pay 45.00 BEFORE (lets just say the 8th) my due date (which is the 15th) which should bring me back down to my 40% which is 120.00 will that still affect my credit score. I'm just asking just trying to get a feel on all of this.

your answer

If you pay before the closing date for the next month you will still owe the minimum for the next months billing cycle.

So if your closing date is September 1 and your payment is due September 16 and you make a payment that clears on August 28 you would still owe a minimum payment by September 16.

if I pay my 30 dollar minimum before my due date witch is the next month will I be able to use my card then or I would have to wait till the next month

• Linda

For credit cards you can send a payment whenever you want to as long as it is before the due date and at least the minimum due. :)

Since you already paid for August you can wait til after your August due date and anything paid after that due cycle will be applied to your September Bill. :) Otherwise, it will continue to simply be applied to your August total.

Remo Williams is right ...

... for example, my Target credit card ... it's due on the 20th. My bill "cycles" or whatever on the 26th (that's when Target takes the interest I owe them out of the balance on the card ...) so if I pay them extra on the 22nd, it just goes to the BIG balance and I still have to pay for the next month. If I pay them on the 28th, whatever I pay them goes toward the next month's payment ... ya dig?

You gotta find out when your "cycle" date is ...

Pay up before due is great. CC are quick sands