Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Where do last names come from?

I mean... Someone must of been the first person with your last name. How would they have picked it? It seems weird to me.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your clan or tribe or Areas of orgin or Occupations goes back 2000 years . For an example the surname Brooke or Brook is Anglo Saxon. which means its Germanic and origin is Brock (. in a Brook )

English Surnames are always similar to Dutch and German to some extend Danish and Scandinavian

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In Europe it was mostly Napoleon who brought it into common use.

The French Empire (thus Napoleon) maintained a very thorough administration largely to keep fresh and steady supply of men for their army/military.

So they needed a way to identify them and register them...

So a lot of the nations that were conquered by Napoleon (virtually all of us) adopted their system.

That's why a lot of people are called 'Janszoon' or 'Johansson' (translation: "John's Son" (or Johnson)).

My surname is Salomons - it's a Jewish surname. I think they used surnames quite early on. I know King Solomon comes from that story, about the baby and two mothers, so I guess they named themselves after that?

• McDoom
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Many come from proffessions that were associated with the family. Things like Baker, Archer and Cartwright are obvious, but there are also ones like Fuller, Steward and Franklin that come from professions that have died out today.

• Bear
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Trades or tribe names.

ie

Cooper - Barrel makers.

Fletcher - Arrow makers.

Price - from the Welsh ap Rhys - Son of Rhys.

etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe when there were to many first names they decided to add last names..

• 1 decade ago

Passed down from generation to generation, in the name sake of male Dads...

• 1 decade ago

I always think about that. Lol. I never did understand ><

• 1 decade ago

I don't know... Good question. I've always wondered the same thing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

haha wow thats something i always wondered aswell!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Adam and Eve

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.