Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

American flags in Taiwan?

Rumor has it that the USA had US Air Force personnel in Taiwan after the end of WW2. Does anyone have specifics on the number of personnel, length of their stay, or photos of the bases?

Favorite Answer

The United States Taiwan Defense Command was a sub-unified command which reported directly to the Commander-in-Chief Pacific (CINCPAC). The command was composed of personnel from all branches of the U.S. armed forces and had its headquarters in Taipei.

Operational since November 1955, USTDC was a planning headquarters for the defense of Taiwan and the Pescadores. In the event of hostilities, The Commander, USTDC, would have assumed an operational role and coordinated with the Government of the Republic of China in the defense of Taiwan and the Pescadores. In the event of such a contingency, three existing service commanders would have reported to the U.S. Taiwan Defense Command commander. The 327th Air Division commander would be the air component commander, the Taiwan Patrol Force commander would be the naval component commander, and the Chief of the Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) would be the Army component commander.

In addition to planning and peacetime responsibilities, the Commander of USTDC was assigned as the Single Senior Military Representative of Commander-in-Chief Pacific (CINCPAC). As such, he served as CINCPAC's single military spokesman on Taiwan -- exclusive of the miliitary assistance program -- and assumed responsibility for coordinating administrative and other policy matters for all U.S. armed forces on Taiwan on behalf of CINCPAC.

The U.S. Taiwan Defense Command held its final flag retreat ceremony during the afternoon of April 26, 1979. Rear Admiral James P. Linder was the last military officer to depart Taiwan on April 28, 1979.

Today there is no trace of the large American military compound on Chung Shan North Road in which USTDC was located. The area now contains a modern art museum, a park and a large sports stadium.

I am not a historian, but I do recognize that history unrecorded is history lost. My objective here is simply to record some of my own experiences as an Air Force enlisted man during my assignment to USTDC during 1973 and 1974, and to provide a platform for others to do the same.

Feel free to comment on any of these entries or to email me with your own experiences and photographs. I especially encourage comments from those who worked in or around the USTDC building. My e-mail address is at the top of this column, or you can comment directly under any of the entries by clicking on "Comments."

taiwan actually is independent contry