Evie♥ asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Winging your feet?!?!?!?!?

I was wondering if winging your feet is good and is preferred over not winging your feet. I asked both my teachers and they each said something different. One of my teachers said that my feet are fine and I don't need to wing them and that i have a good line. My other teacher says that every person doing pointe should shape them, (meaning winging them.) I don't know who I should listen to...And advice?

• Favorite Answer

I am assuming that "winging" means having your good turnout at the hips in ballet to achieve your best especially when you do 1st, 4th, and 5th positions in ballet.

But even then, winging requires dedication on your part especially in ballet....stretching in your home even away from the ballet studio or ballet performance....doing ankle stretches and toe curls constantly so that the feet are supple enough to allow a little more "winging".

Addendum....

If the teacher tells you that you need to wing because you have a sickle foot in ballet, I think you should stick to that teacher.

All of my teachers (previous and current) love a wing. The purposely show us exercises to help us get the best wing possible.

like the other person said its the symbol of hermes but i learned that hermes, the mesenger of the gods was the fastest of them all and is often depicted withe wings on the back of his ankles