What are your top 5 Sci-fi books?

...and why?

• Favorite Answer

The Dune series. Frank Herbert (not his son) Although the first book is my favorite, it might not rank at the top w/o the rest of the series.

The Moon is A Harsh Mistress. R.A. Heinlein.Wild political theories, a strange society & a revolution against an imperial power. what else could an American boy want?

Stranger in A Strange Land by R.A.Heinlein, I'll hold myself to two Heinlein novels.

Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'd pick Pattern recognition, but I'd feel the need to waffle over whether a new form of art makes a novel science fiction.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephensen, although The Diamond Age is close behind it.

Five, I'm not even positive this is my top five. I immediately ask what No Dick? No Anderson, Ellison, Harrison, Asimov, or Leiber? No Spinrad, neither Smiths, not a single Vinge, and nary an Adams. Where is Le Guin, Snodgrass, or Miller? Lists suck, you always underestimate the author who writes one great book for one who writes ten great books.

Dune by Frank Herbert The universe is so complete. The scene with the Bene Gesserit testing Paul is chilling.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card The Ender character is so interesting.

Shattered Chain by Marion Zimmer Bradley I liked the exploration of women's roles.

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey because I liked the strong female character and the idea of bonding with an animal.

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow because I liked the defense of the Constitution.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress because I liked the idea of a computer becoming sentient and exploring what makes a joke funny and the comparisons to the American Revolution.

Source(s): long time SF fan

Hard to choose just 5

A Rumour of Angels M Bradley Kellogg

Emergence David Palmer

Paksennarion Trilogy Elizabeth Moon

Five Twelfths of Heaven Melissa Scott

Valor series Tanya Huff

Source(s): All in my collection - I have not included books already mentioned just to give a wider variety - I also like Heinlein, Asimov, Herbert, early McCaffrey etc

Ender Quintet by Orson Scott Card

Dune by Frank Herbert

Hyperion Quartet by Dan Simmons

The Earthfall Series by Orson Scott Card

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

• Nick T

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Stranger in a Strange Land

Starship Troopers

Neuromancer

Otherland

• The Three Stigmata Of Plamer Edritch

Do androids dream of electronic sheep?

Vallis

Ubik

a scanner darkly

all by Philip K Dick

• varnum

hi. one million) Jules Verne, "international huge in 80 days". 2) Isaac Asimov, his preliminary 'commencing place' books (3 in all) 3) Ayn Rand, 'Atlas Shrugged; 4) Larry Niven, 'standard area' (a number of books) 5) Harlan Ellison 'mandatory Ellison' there are various different authors, yet i will supply up right here. stable luck.

I read Michael Moorcock the Runestaff series years ago - brilliant story!

Anything by Asimov........because he was a great scientist, writer and visionary.