Is there an explanation to why most fashion designers are men?

I mean like in art schools, women are always the larger amount of students. In real life, it is also women who care more for fashion and appearances. I am not saying all successful designers are men, but why are men more likely to succeed?

I do not believe that this is a coincidence, are there scientific facts behind this?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Because fashion is a business at its core, and our society is constructed in such a way that women are culturally prohibited from ascending to a level professionally that would allow them to launch a major label.

So basically, no scientific facts, just sociological facts.

But there are so many great female designers - Vera Bradley, Stella McCartney, Tamara Mellon, and of course, Coco Chanel.

If you're planing on going into fashion, don't worry. Times are changing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know what art schools you go to but I'm studying at one now and there are definitely more men. And it was even more years ago. Pick up any art book. If there are 500 artists only ten, maybe less, will be women. And all fashion is art, so it's dominated in the same way.

• Skalla
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Men still "rule the world", so to speak. It's not that the women have any fresher ideas or that the men are better designers. It's that men are given more opportunities to make it big, while women have to scratch their way to the top.

• Ace
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Because men just know more about fashion than women...women just buy and wear the clothes...then they wanna tell their bfs and husbands how to dress when more then likely they have no clue about fashion and a sense of style besides what they see on TV and read in the celebrity programs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

A century in the past a male who used to be style-savvy and keen on fancy get dressed could had been referred to as 'dapper' or a 'dandy.' Didn't imply he used to be homosexual, however simply exceptional from the stereotypical non-style-mindful guy. The equal proposal quite nonetheless applies - it is stereotyping both approach, however such stereotyping exists with ease due to the fact it quite is correct that almost all of guys do not care approximately style.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well if yiur thinking there all gay thats not true. Like me many guys in the world today are judged because were not in sports and arnt jocks. Me and alot of my friends that r guys r really into art and singing and art is tye way we express ourselves! So when u see guys designing fashion it was one way they could express themselves without wirrying about sports or people laughing at them. Men today are now leaning to the arts today! So they got a gift from god and there using it!

Source(s): Google
  • i don't really know, maybe its that the men have more fresh ideas. Both of them could succeed, but maybe the men are more committed, or maybe the women get tired of it. i really don't know the reason for that..

• 1 decade ago

Here's a simple little syllogism:

Most fashion designers are men.

All National Football League linemen are men.

Therefore, most fashion designers are NFL linemen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

men know what looks good on women

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

for the same reason that most top chefs are men.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.