A man is responsible for the deaths of 270 people on a Plane & he's let go from Prison based on ->?

Compassionate grounds? I don't know about you but I'm so fed up with these damm Judges having more compassion for killers than for the rights of those who are killed by these madmen. This piece of human waste should die in Prison. ->

Scotland frees terminally ill Lockerbie bomber

EDINBURGH, Scotland – Scotland freed the terminally ill Lockerbie bomber on compassionate grounds Thursday, allowing him to die at home in Libya despite American protests that mercy should not be shown to the man responsible for the deaths of 270 people.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said Abdel Baset al-Megrahi's condition had deteriorated from prostate cancer. Al-Megrahi had only served some eight years of a life sentence, but MacAskill said he was bound by Scottish values to release him.

"Our belief dictates that justice be served but mercy be shown," MacAskill said, ruling that al-Megrahi "be released on compassionate grounds and be allowed to return to Libya to die."

"Some hurts can never heal, some scars can never fade," MacAskill said. "Those who have been bereaved cannot be expected to forget, let alone forgive ... However, Mr. al-Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power."

Al-Megrahi, 57, was convicted in 2001 of taking part in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on Dec. 21, 1988. He was sentenced to life in prison.

The airliner — which was carrying mostly American passengers to New York — blew up as it flew over Scotland. All 259 people aboard and 11 on the ground died when the aircraft crashed into the town of Lockerbie.

The former Libyan intelligence officer was sentenced to serve a minimum of 27 years in a Scottish prison for Britain's deadliest terrorist attack. But a 2007 review of his case found grounds for an appeal of his conviction, and many in Britain believe he is innocent.

The White House said Thursday it "deeply regrets" the decision to free al-Megrahi.

"As we have expressed repeatedly to officials of the government of the United Kingdom and to Scottish authorities, we continue to believe that Megrahi should serve out his sentence in Scotland," the White House said in a statement. "On this day, we extend our deepest sympathies to the families who live every day with the loss of their loved ones."

Rest of the story is this link->

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/ap_on_re_eu/eu...

Best Answer

A lot of people are saying Americans should mind their own business, it's not our legal system.

What about the Americans who lost someone in the flight? Should they mind their business? Is it none of their business that their loved one was murdered for no goddamn reason?

People, this issue is not about legal systems and individual countries!

Its about a man who killed 270 and is walking out after serving a fraction of his sentence. A cold-blooded murderer who didn't shown an ounce compassion to his victims. If people wanted to show compassion to this bastard, they can forgive him privately. Letting him walk reflects callousness towards the victims families. Besides, they're letting him go for commercial reasons, oil and whatnot.

If your child/parent/friend was murdered, and then let go "compassionately" how would you feel?

Try to have some empathy, people!

Personally, I think he should never have been released, and I don't fully understand how on Earth a prison can just allow this to happen - life in prison is life in prison. Not "life in prison, until you're just about on your death bed, and then we'll let you go scot free"...

Complete BS.

I suppose the underlying thing here is that "Many in Britain believe he is innocent." and "He had a part in planning the incident."

Basically he had reason for an appeal in his case, and I think that is why he has managed to be granted this release. How the legal system would allow this is beyond me, but I'm just reaching for some form of understanding....

• Are we going to release Charlie Manson too for compassion reasons that he's a head case Hell No. That Man will die in prison. So, why should this guy get a break. It's not our country so, we have no control on how they do things over there. We absofriggenlutely have the right to be angry over this decision. I say let him die with his prostate cancer right there in prision. Oh, Well... prisioners die everyday rather from cancer or prision fights. So, let him go home in time to plot his next move and hand the torch over to the next nut case terrorist(s). A sad day for the victims families. My heart goes out to them.

The only way this guy should have left prison is in a body bag. This terrorist wanted the plane and it's 270 passengers to blow up well over the Atlantic but his timing was off. As a result, they found his timing device and went from there.

He deserved to be hung.

For those who say it's Scotland's decision, how many Scots were on the plane?

Of the 270 murdered, 180 were American. Their families sure as hell weren't offered to opportunity to be by their bedsides with them when they died.

I say that gives Americans the Right to voice an opinion on this.

Bernie Madoff in the United States is put in prison for 150 years for his ponzy scam that ruined millions of people lives and he will spend the rest of his natural life in prison and never see freedom again, but this guy who killed over 200 human beings is released from a prison in Scottland and given his complete freedom back. How can anyone think that is ok. Whats worse a ponzy scam or intentionally killing 270 people. I dont understand how people think the criminal justice system is right and problem free. There are so many flaws that nobody is willing to fix, which is ridiculous.

I actually first saw the story of this a few years ago when it aired on Seconds from Disaster on NatGeo........

I think that people that commit murder and are remorseful and show remorse should be released from prison when they get kind of old, or become ill......ONE Murder

This guy should rot in jail, until the jail rots. Bombing a plane in mid air with tons of innocent women, children, and just human beings period is something that should never be forgiven....the person that came up with the decision to let this doucebag free should be forced to do his time.

• There is always something isn't there, Scooter. You and everyone else have pretty well summed up my feelings. It's sad that we have to put up with the feelings and health of a terrorist. He certainly didn't care about the souls on the flight. Execution is called for in certain situations and this was one of them. Had he been executed we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

It is because of judges like this that police officers get so frustrated. It is hard telling how much public funds was spent to hunt down , capture , gather evidence , and convict this killer Besides , prostate cancer is a slow to kill and is treatable. This killer may yet live for years !

• Dean M

Maybe they will throw him off the plane without a parachute, midflight. That would be sweet. However, sadly this guy will probably go home to a heroes welcome....effing disgusting. Time is long gone where we can show compassion to terrorists.

Sounds as if Scotland needs help with their Prison house rules!!! I know a certain 43rd President who had no problem letting people die in prison, and the best thing, he's probably looking for work!!!!