Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Really need some diet help?

I'm a picky eater and i'm going away to Rhode Island for a week with a friend and her family I packed the following :

[all of this food is from trader joe's btw]

- protein/meal bars ( which range from 0.5 to 4 grams of sat. fat...

i don't think thats very healthy lol )

- Non fat low cholesterol thin pretzels

- Organic nut and berry mix

- Organic apple sauce

and I also have weight watcher's banana nut muffins and peanut butter

cookies which I know aren't too healthy

I know i'm pathetic for bringing my own food. So my question is, are protein bars good to eat for meals if your trying to watch your weight or even lose weight?

thanks =]

thank you both for the answers, this is helping me more than you know

Favorite Answer

protein bars are OK every once in a while, but not too often. Balance and moderation are the keys. Your organic choices are good, but it's important to eat natural foods that are close to their natural form (protein bars are highly processed, as are most food products. Eat the stuff that does not need an ingredient list more.

A lot of the answers you will see here will tell you to buy some sort of supplement. Don't take diet pills. They are unnatural and dangerous. It is not the lack of pills that got you heavy; that is not the fix you need. It was (most likely) improper diet and lifestyle that got you the extra weight. That is the fix you need.

The best way to lose weight is through the principles of balance and moderation. You need to eat good food and eat enough of it.

Shoot to lose 1-3 pounds per week. No more. Don't go hungry, just keep yourself filled with good, natural foods.

Don't worry about calories. Caloric science is flawed for several reasons. 1) it assumes 100% absorption, but we all absorb and excrete different amounts; 2) It assumes all calories are processed the same, but calories from natural sources are burned more slowly and evenly than from refined sources; 3) It assumes that the amount of energy released by combustion (burning) in a lab is the same amount of energy released when the food is broken down enzymatically in the gut; 4) It assumes that the same exercise done by different people will burn the same amount of exercise, but different exercises will be harder or easier for different people; 5) Correlation does not prove causation. People who are heavier eat more calories: did the calories make them heavy, or did being heavy make them need more calories? Maybe they are both symptoms of a deeper problem. 6) people in China consume 25-40% more calories; even the sedentary office workers have more calories and less obesity than we.

Asian cultures have long ago figured out how we should be eating, Ever since we have looked to science to tell us how to eat we have seen more obesity and diet-related disease. If we eat like the Asians, we will look like the Asians. This doesn't mean you have to eat Asian food, just adhere to the principles that are common to the different cultures and cuisines.

You should eat mostly vegetables, mostly cooked (cold and raw foods slow your metabolism because they need to be cooked in your stomach) and a wide variety, mostly fresh and in-season and local, simple grains (more rice, less bread), some fruit, a little meat, no dairy (it's for infants and grows tissue), and no artificial foods.

Avoid artificial foods, including sugar substitutes. Don't worry about calories, fat, protein, carbs, nor any one component of food.

There are several books that explain this strategy of eating. "The Asian Diet: simple secrets for eating right, losing weight, and being well" by Bussell explains the diet and its rationale. "The Asian Diet: get slim and stay slim the Asian way" by Tran has recipes that adhere to the principles. "The China Study" by Campbell has the science behind the recommendation.

Get some exercise every day, but not too much and not always the same exercise. Start slow and work your way up. Calisthenics are great, as is Tai Chi. Walking and swimming are also great. All other exercises should be in a wide rotation.

Follow the principles of balance and moderation and you'll be fine. Most diets in America are not balanced nor moderate.

Source(s):

http://www.theasiandiet.com

http://www.thechinastudy.com

Forget weight loss diet I devour like a horse and I best weigh 9 stone. This is what works for me: Eat typically, if feasible each 3 hours, whilst your frame realises that it is getting a steady give of meals it raises it is metabolism, burning energy faster and is far much less more likely to retailer energy as fats. When consuming attempt to devour plenty of prime protein meals and do not pass too difficult at the carbs. Try pass handy on trans and saturated fat despite the fact that you're allowed the peculiar deal with. Drink tons of water! At least one gallon in line with day. Tea, espresso and fizzy beverages are O.K however they don' rely toward your total water consumption. As for undertaking I perform a little mild weight coaching 4 days every week and cardiovascular (I use a rowing computing device) 2 days every week with one days relaxation. There is a traditional perception that doing cardiovascular undertaking on an empty belly is helping burn energy. This is absolute garbage don't do it. Weight coaching is a well notion as muscular tissues burns plenty of vigor, even even as you sleep. You do not have got to end up Mr/Mrs universe however any fats tissue which you'll be able to convert to muscular tissues won't best make you appear larger however develop your metabolism. Getting tons of sleep may be major whilst seeking to construct muscle. Good Luck

Hey! Thanks for writing an elaborate question!

I lost 27 pounds (12kg) in 5 months! I was 176 pounds (80kg) and now i'm 149 (68kg). I am 21 years old and i'm 5'11. I am saying this because I want you to have realistic expectations. Not to disapointed!!

How I lost that weight? I will tell you: start jogging everyday 6 days a week, get some cardio vascular exercises. First day - run for 5 minutes, 10 on the next, keep it on 15 for three days then add some time. In three weeks begin to jog for 30 minutes everyday. Listen the only effective and quick way to lose weight are not pills, or fat burners, or stupid bowel cleansers... people want to sell you those to make profit.. they will drop your weight but only water weight... never fat.. they will never burn your fat. So if you want to lose weight, work for it!

Drink 8 glasses of cold water unless it's winter - then drink room temperature water! NO FAST FOOD AT ALL!! Stop eating sugar, do not eat high carbohydrate foods such as bread, pastas, cookies, ice creams!! Drink only SKIM MILK!!! Eat only low fat foods. Lots of meat and fish!! Turn your body into a calorie burning machine!! I eat 2000 calories a day MINUS 600 calories burnt on exercise which leaves me to 1400 calories a day!

If I jog everyday for 45 minutes and burn 600 calories, I eat 2000 calories a day. Minus 600 calories burnt on exercise.

So let's do the math: 600 times 6(days) = 3600 calories WHICH EQUALS to one pound! I lose at least 1 pound of FAT per week PLUS another pound from a low caloric diet so in total you lose 2 pounds of fat per week to a total sum of 8 pounds a month!!!

You want to lose weight? Work!! Work hard! Stay motivated, imagine how well your slim body will look in the mirror and to your friends and family... you could even make some people jealous. When you will put your hands on your fat free spots.. you'll feel great!

It IS possible.. i almost gave up but with my determination and will power I had to prove myself I could do it.. I now have a slim - athletic body. I am proud of it. So let me tell you: YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN LOSE FAT, ALL OF IT IF YOU WANT!! WORK WORK WORK AND WORK FOR IT!

like for everything in life in order to get it... you have to work hard for it.

So set realistic goals... exercise.. walk and jog a lot.. don't be lazy!

By 6 months you CAN lose around 40 pounds. That is a lot!

Do not give up or you will suffer emotionally all your life because of your body.

I know you can do it and i hope you will!