What is Joomla? How does it work?

Give me exact idea about Joomla.

Favorite Answer

Joomla! is a free, open source content management system for publishing content on the world wide web and intranets. The system includes features such as page caching to improve performance, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, website searching, and language internationalization. Joomla is licensed under the GPL, and is the result of a fork of Mambo.

It is written with the PHP programming language and uses the MySQL database by default. Joomla is an innovative Content Management System that helps web designers design and build state-of-the-art websites even if they have had little or no prior experience with website building. With an abundance of powerful online applications, Joomla is a boon to amateur and professional web designers everywhere.

How Joomla templates work

When the content is inserted into a Joomla template, it inherits the menus, link styles, colors, navigation and text size of the template, undergoing a radical transformation in appearance.

When you use a pre-made Joomla template, you are given various options for editing ?css? and ?html?. CSS or cascading style sheets are what control the look and feel elements of your website and html refers to the file that controls the positioning of the text.

Graphics are typically linked in the html file and users have the option of using their own graphic image by simply changing the reference to the image of their choice. It has to be noted however that if the size of the graphic is different from that of the original, the appearance of the site could undergo some unpredictable changes.

All you need to do is select a Joomla template from amongst the many freely available on the internet and just implement the necessary changes to your website. With just a click of a button you can convert your website into a rich text editor right in the browser itself.

When I did this, I deleted all of the local website content I had built previously (after backing it up, of course) and installed Joomla! directly into the main directory of the website. This worked perfectly for me. Though, the installer was a 3rd party script provided by the web host and not the official method of Joomla! installation. Even without a separate script, I would assume you could just copy all of the files from the Joomla! directory you have into the main directory after deleting the old content (back it up, of course). I could be wrong about that, though.

It is a Content Management System (CMS)

It is a 27Mb overhead for your server, intended to allow you to build a website without understanding how to code.

... But to fully understand and use Joomla, you need to know how to code.

... And if you do, why would you need Joomla?