kris76
kris76 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is there a double standard, it was fine to make fun of Condi Rice, but your racist if you make fun of Obama?

Condoleeza Rice, had some dirty, nasty, downright evil things said about her, and some of the cartoons drawn up, and pictures were fairly racist and of poor taste, but no one came to her defense, and if they did it wasn't loud enough. But Obama, you have to be very careful, or else, you are labeled a racist. Why the double standard? Should Republicans have branded Democrats racist, for their treatment of Dr. Rice? I realize the President, and Sec. of State is a big difference, but it is one of the more important cabinent posts.

Favorite Answer

Of course. Did you see when california dem Barbara Boxer questioning Secretary Rice?? Also, look at her committee hearing where the leader of the Black Chamber of Commerce Harry Alford called Boxer out on be a condescending racist. For liberals, it's only racist to criticize a fellow liberal. I found the link for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_jGD5nZ6U

Youtube thumbnail

As further proof, look how liberals tried to derail the confirmation of Clarence Thomas, our 2nd African American justice. If he were a liberal/activist justice, what they did to him would have been considered very racist.

• Judith

Since Obama is our president it is important to do whatever can be done to maintain respect for him and his office. Also, the racists are crawling out of their hidey holes for no other reason than our president is black. They are calling him names, disrupting town hall meetings, spreading the lie that Obama is not a US citizen. The last thing they are is rational but they are doing a lot of damage because too many people believe them.

Although I read my daily newspaper and my weekly Time magazine I wasn't aware that the media was picking on Condi Rice anymore than they would any other cabinet member in her position. They aren't exactly leaving Hillary alone either. Any public figure is fair game as far as the media goes. I don't agree with you that there is a double standard. It's a matter of politics not race when it comes to cabinet members.

Well, the truth is, there is really no way to defend Obama. The race card has to be pulled to distract people from the fact that he is a very poor president.

You can be labeled a racist no matter who you make fun of. I'm sure people who made fun of Condi Rice were labeled as racists in their time. It didn't stop them from making fun of her, just like it's not stopping people from making fun of Barack Obama. If you find it offensive, don't partake in it. People will say whatever they want when it supports their beliefs, it's a fact, get over it.

I never heard anyone say anything racist about Dr. Rice. She's completely deluded an incompetent but that isn't a racial thing.

I'm tired of the old "you can't criticize Obama" line. There are tons of people who criticize Obama and they only get called racists when they say something racist. Get over it.

Michelle Obama is racist and nobody complains. Its annoying.

easy answer to this... The Dems only support Libs no matter what race creed or color. If you arent a lib you are an..... insert racist remark here......

Excellent point Kris, can't wait to read the answers.

• Sarah

Huh?? Please provide sources for your claims? Unlike most of the Bush administration---and despite the fact that we disagreed with Ms Rice on many issues--she was one of the most intelligent and capable people in his administration. I don't recall ANY 'evil' comments about her from the left. And, you DO realize that your attacks on Obama have gone well beyond just 'making fun'.

Condi Rice wasn't pres. She was riding on Bush's coattails. Apples and oranges.