Corrupted/messed up Computer?

I own a 4 year old Acer computer that runs on Windows XP, and it has been having problems lately. It appeared to load up okay then was informed to restart computer, this is where the problem started. It would go no further than the second screen i.e. before Windows logo? So I shut down using the power... show more I own a 4 year old Acer computer that runs on Windows XP, and it has been having problems lately. It appeared to load up okay then was informed to restart computer, this is where the problem started. It would go no further than the second screen i.e. before Windows logo? So I shut down using the power button.

When it started up, the message was something like "if windows or power interrupted highlight one of the follows:
1. safe mode
2. safe mode command prompt
3. last known good configuration
4. safe mode network

I tried them all - no go. Safe mode only got to a page where it had a list of drivers on, but then it sat there and died. Computer kept rebooting but got nowhere. I checked all the wiring is okay and not loose or unplugged in any way. I went to all the options, no go. I recovered the computer with my factory settings disks, but after a while of usage, the computer turned the same way again, almost dead, so I do the same process, recovering the computer.

Any suggestions of what this could be? I am going to take this to a computer technician to find out what is wrong, but I want to get an idea of the problem. Why did it suddenly turn this way after many years of smooth usage? Even after several rebooting and recoveries of my computer, it always ends up half dead. Also when I try to download things, the computer claims the files are corrupt? What do I do?

Thank you!