CAN A LENDER PRE-APPROVE A HOME LOAN THEN SAY YOU ARE NO LONGER APPROVED?

Well this is what happened to me. I was pre-approved for a home loan. I got a real estate agent and began looking for homes. About 2 weeks later they called and told me I was no longer approved because of new guidelines. They said that my credt score needed to be at least 600. But if he new that all along why did... show more Well this is what happened to me. I was pre-approved for a home loan. I got a real estate agent and began looking for homes. About 2 weeks later they called and told me I was no longer approved because of new guidelines. They said that my credt score needed to be at least 600. But if he new that all along why did they approve me in the first place and have me waste my time looking for homes. Then I received a letter about a week later saying my loan was cancelled upon my request. Which is totally false. I would never had called to cancel and why would the letter say that if he told me I wasnt qualified anymore. And no I was not pre-qualified. I was pre-approved and was sent the letter to prove it which I fwd to my real estate agent. Can they get in trouble for this? I'm going to call the manager real soon. What should I say? I want to sound like I know what I am talking about.