Some good atheist literature?

I am a becoming an active atheist. What are some good books or literature on the subject? Right now I am reading The God Delusion, and loving it! Dawkins is my hero!

Favorite Answer

2000 Years of Disbelief by James Haught

Against All Gods by A.C. Grayling

Atheist Universe by David Mills

Attack Upon Christendom by Soren Kierkegaard

Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett

Fighting Words by Hector Avalos

* God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger

Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker

Natural Atheism by David Eller

Nothing by Nica Lalli

On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche

On the Nature of Things by Lucretius

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

The Essence of Christianity by Ludwig Feuerbach

* The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The Jesus Puzzle by Earl Doherty

The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman

Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell

Why I Rejected Christianity by John Loftus

and The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

I am a bit confused as to what an active atheist means. It seems like atheism is a passive belief system. Be careful about making some of the same mistakes the very religious make. In other words don't assume other people need to agree with you. Try some Nietzsche. Maybe Happy Science would be good for you. It is where his famous "God is dead and we have killed him" quote is from.

I can't really add much to Dreamstuff Entity's excellent list. Just to say that philosophers and theists who criticise Dawkins never seem to have much of an argument - they just don't want to admit he has a point and makes it well. god is not Great by Hitchens is a book along very similar lines. Interestingly enough, Christopher Hitchens has a brother, Peter, who is a solid conservative Christian. I gather they don't get on very well...

Edit - Indie Gnoh, been there, done that, gave up. I'm not sure even Crowley knew what he was writing as he's completely incomprehensible.

How about Alice in Wonderland?

Incidentally, your hero Dawkins (the high priest of atheism) believes little green men from outer space could have designed first life on Earth!!

And also of course, by implication, once upon a time, other little green men could have designed the first life of those little green men.... and before that other little green men could have .... and before that other .... and before that ... and .... ad infinitum.

Perhaps this hypothesis is intended to avoid awkward questions about the magical, Primordial Soup Goblin of abiogenesis? It certainly means that the unscientific notion of spontaneous generation of life from non-life is once removed, or even twice removed, or perhaps thrice removed ........ but eventually I'm afraid, it's back to the Primordial Soup Goblin.

Dawkins in atheist la la land.

See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoncJBrrdQ8

Youtube thumbnail

"When people stop believing in God, it's not that they believe in nothing, but rather that they will believe in anything" GK Chesterton.

And what about Dawkins stumped by a simple question absolutely fundamental to progressive evolution? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKryi3605g

Youtube thumbnail

&NR=1

Watch these and then decide if he is still your hero.

The Dawkins Delusion http://www.alternet.org/media/47052

Dawkins is brilliant, I'd also recommend any of his other books. You have The God Delusion, Dawkins provides a lot of references to other books that are really good as well. You can also check out his website, the forums are quite interesting.

If you REALLY want a good laugh, and something that will confirm why you're atheist check out http://www.answersingenesis.org/ these people are clearly insane.

Demon Haunted World.

Sagan drinks Dawkins milkshake. Seriously, Dawkins peddles banal, pedestrian atheism. If you like his stuff, get into some of the people who actually WORK on science. Dawkins defends science, sure. He just doesn't do a thing for its progress.

For fiction that has a bit of that Atheist/Agnostic flair, read a few Robert Heinlein books (start with Stranger in a Strange Land, one of the best SciFi novels ever written)

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

It's All about Control: The God, Jesus and Et Coverup by Tony Stubbs

(although most of the ET stuff is kinda out there for me... still it presents an interesting theory) (Oh, and you can read it for free here - http://www.scribd.com/doc/13051498/Its-All-About-C... )

I can email you some good books for free. Email me if you want them, I have a couple by Sam Harris and a Christopher Hitchens book.

Bertrand Russell writes some excellent books on the subject of problems with theism. I also recommend anything written by Douglas Adams and Carl Sagan, even if the books you select have nothing to do with atheism.

• Christopher Hichens wrote a book title " god is not Great"