Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

is section 512 (scroll down) a death panel in the medicare drug plan?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Sidney
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very astute. I see that it only refers to the counseling of terminally ill patients on Medicare being paid for, instead of them having to pay for it. This was the Medicare bill passed in 2004 and wow it has a provision similar to the one proposed in the new health care bill.

End of life counseling is already available, but you usually have to pay for it if you want it.

But it is interesting that Bush signed a law when he was governor of Texas allowing doctors to pull the plug against the wishes of the patient or family:

"Section 166.046, Subsection (e):

If the patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the patient is requesting life-sustaining treatment that the attending physician has decided and the review process has affirmed is inappropriate treatment, the patient shall be given available life-sustaining treatment pending transfer under Subsection (d). The patient is responsible for any costs incurred in transferring the patient to another facility. The physician and the health care facility are not obligated to provide life-sustaining treatment after the 10th day after the written decision required under Subsection (b) is provided to the patient or the person responsible for the health care decisions of the patient …"

• 1 decade ago

No, it is not. That section provides funding for compassionate end-of-life care, including counseling and pain management. There is nothing in this section even remotely like a death panel.

• 1 decade ago

No.

This was created in 2005.

Coverage of hospice consultation services:

This provides coverage of certain physician services: evaluating the beneficiary’s need for pain and symptom management, counseling the beneficiary, and advising the beneficiary regarding advanced care planning.

Edit: as.erwin, nowhere in the bill does it say that it is required. Calm down.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it certainly is not. There is nothing about "death panels" anywhere to be found in that or any bill being proposed. It's distressing to realize that so many Americans are so gullible and willing to believe the most ridiculous things. It makes me want to weep for the failings of our education system. Got to be dumb as a box of rocks to swallow that sort of crap.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, absolutely not. The only folks who would call it that are interested in disinformation, not honest discussion.

My parents paid for this form of consultation prior to preparing their advance directive, as did my wife and I.

Is this Q from Fixed News talking points or Teabagger Dick's list of Q's?

• 1 decade ago

Yes, some people would call it that.

End of life counseling isn't REALLY a death panel.

• 1 decade ago

"Physician services of evaluating need, counseling, and advising beneficiaries regarding advance care planning as part of hospice care shall be reimbursed starting January 1, 2005"

Now read this bill and notice how these services will be REQUIRED for anyone who receives social security benefits...

• 1 decade ago

It's mandatory in Obama's bill. There is a certain coercive factor when a doctor talks to a patient, so it just wasn't appropriate.

• 1 decade ago

No

• Visee
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

no, I don't think so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.