Can anyone help me with Fatty Liver Disease (Cats)?

Warning: this is long, but if you've been through this, and know anything I could do...please help! Last Friday, we took our cat to the animal hospital because he hadn't ate or drank anything in a few days. They said it was fatty liver disease, and they kept him hooked up to IV's. They even put a... show more Warning: this is long, but if you've been through this, and know anything I could do...please help!

Last Friday, we took our cat to the animal hospital because he hadn't ate or drank anything in a few days. They said it was fatty liver disease, and they kept him hooked up to IV's. They even put a tube in his throat so we could feed him that way. A few hours after the tube was put in, my cat pulled it out himself. They were going to replace the tube for free, but didn't want to do it right away since he had just been through the surgery. We went to visit him in the hospital the next day, and just by us being there, he ate a little. They kept him in the hospital one more day, then released him without replacing the tube, saying that we'll probably have better luck getting him to eat. When we first brought him home, he ate about half of a cup of dry food which surprised us. Since then, he's been eating very little every day. My question is, what should I do? Force feed him? if so, how? Or should I take him back to the hospital to have the tube put in? We paid 900 bucks for the placement of the tube...would they put another one in for free, since they were going to do that originally? I don't know what to do.

As far as his personality, when this first happened, he was lifeless...but since we've had him home from the hospital, he does walk around a good bit (slowly but surely) and he purrs louder than ever before. When I wake up in the morning, or walk through the door after work, he makes an effort to get up and rub against my leg. That's why it's so hard for me to figure out what to do. He's trying to act like his normal self, he's just weak.