Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Please help! Navigation Chart Question?

I'm a PPL student flying VFR and this friday i have a cross country flight coming up.

Can you tell me how i can obtain the track distance from one place to another if i'll be flying from one country which in an inlet in the chart, to another country which is on the right position?

I'm flying from a small island, Malta, to Sicily and since Malta is so small it is placed beside Sicily as an inlet on the chart instead of beneath sicily where it's actually supposed to be.

I know there are some calculations that one must do since one cannot use the protractor and ruler to obtain the distance and track since Malta is in the "wrong" location.

I don't know if this helps, much im using "VFR GPS Charts" by Jeppesen with a scale of 1:500,000

Please help me, i have no idea how the calculations must be done.

Thanks in advance.

* i meant to write "inset" not inlet.

i.e. Malta is an inset in a chart.

Sorry about that.

im taking my instructor to sicily so i wont be alone but i do have over-water flying because i've got to fly from catania (sicily) to reggio calabria "southern italy" which entails a distance of 36nm over water.

I swear i'm not lying!

Maybe the rules are different when in Europe? I don't know...i just really need help with the inset.

Anyone, please?

• RickH
    Favorite Answer

Often an inset is just a smaller scale representation of what is already on the chart. In other words the Malta may be so small on the regular chart that an inset was created to show detail. Maybe Malta is there.

Absent that, there are some options that come to mind:

1. There is a fairly simple calculation that can be performed using latitude and longitude to calculate distance, and true course. Keep in mind that true course is different from magnetic course, true heading, magnetic heading and compass heading. Just be certain that you plug in the true course in the correct place in your heading calculations. TC +/- WCA = TH +/- VAR = MH +/- DEV = CH

The formula for distance can be found at http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/distance.jsp#c... Course can be found at http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm#Crs. A simple web search will probably find a place that will do the math for you. Also, I don't own one, but I'd bet the most electronic e6b computers will handle the problem.

2. Find a point on the inset that is also on the main chart.

I have to ask. If you are a student pilot going on a cross country, why isn't your instructor providing the information. If you are really doing this, and you can't get the help that you need from him/her, I'd find a new instructor.

Good luck

• I have hard time believing a flight instructor would allow a student pilot to do a over water flight. I certainly would not! The distance between Malta and the nearest point in Sicily is 93 km.

In the US, there are provisions for student training on an Island. This flight is not for a Student Pilot IMHO.

§ 61.111 Cross-country flights: Pilots based on small islands.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an applicant located on an island from which the cross-country flight training required in §61.109 of this part cannot be accomplished without flying over water for more than 10 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline need not comply with the requirements of that section.

• prew

the muse on which the intensity values have been desperate would desire to be written on the chart, many times close to the identify. for many marine charts, easily those using the WGS84 datum, the depths are given because of the fact the "lowest astronomical tide". The tidal heights selection no longer basically as a results of place of the solar and Moon, yet in addition as a results of place of the Earth (the equinoctial tides additionally are conventional to be exceedingly low (or severe) as an occasion). The depths on charts are produced by technique of calculating the backside predictable tide making an allowance for all photograph voltaic, lunar and planetary outcomes. to that end ideally, it may be the minimum intensity of water you will ever see, yet there are situations (quite severe air stress as an occasion) that would bring about under the charted intensity.

Came here to say get a new instructor and see that it's already been covered.